Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

ok… I really don’t understand why the screen would interfere with audio playing. Except one thing: power.

You could do another test: including a setup with the display, but this time you disconnect the power cable to the display itself.

In that case we can test for sure that the software itself isn’t interfering.

AH… hmmm I guess a reboot and a shutdown will have killed all of the original and 2nd ones then if its more than a animate or so…bummer…well the last one should be OK I hope…if you haven’t got anything in the expected time then I will do another and wait for your update

Ok ill try the power to the screen and see but its using 19V 3A SMPS supplied by IQAudio that should I think be more than adequate. I could maybe try a 12V 6A or maybe a 19V 6A but I am guess ing I’m going to have to run the unit without a case to see if its a MUTE issue as I can’t see any of the onboard LEDS with the case on

@spockfish I have just resent feedback and will leave the unit as is for the next hour or 2

384K up sampling is working tho so thats great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok an update is due…

Reflashed the latest beta to my 16GB SD card and installed back to the LCD RPi loaded up everything and all good…sadly along the way I also reconnected an old ATV3 that had the same fixed IP address as my ROCK so that distracted me with a core that was disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes…grrrr

Anyway my wife indicated there was a creature in the bedroom that was glowing and needed my attention- the LCD was out of its case so I could do the SD card change…flipped it back over and low and behold we are back after a reboot to the image of an album and track info.

Pressed play…holy crap…100% volume…ouch luckily pause worked. A volume on the LCD would be really handy hint hint @spockfish

So went to sleep finally with music again working all well with the IQAudIO DigiAMP+

Only issue is now it needs a display dimming setting and a display off even when playing after a set time…its very bright if you are trying to go to sleep :sleeping:

@spockfish Just want to clarify something…as I don’t have an extra LCD to test the theory…but that might change if this works…

If you are having the LCD and using the Ropieee as the bridge endpoint for a USB DAC does it display whats being played to the USB DAC? Or can it only display what is going to a HAT DAC/AMP?

I may be able to answer that - it even displays what is being played without a HAT and without a USB DAC. All of my photos earlier are without a USB DAC and without a HAT attached.

If that doesn’t help I’m sure Harry will jump in

2 Likes

Perfect so its almost as good a remote display then for whatever is playing

BUT how does one select which stream it is displaying if one has multiple endpoints as if there is no DAC or HAT then it won’t show up as an endpoint in Roon…or is that the purpose of the “Touchscreen Control Zone” in the web interface

My morning caffeine fix is taking a little time to absorb :smiley:

Also you don’t need another screen to test it. Go to the ropieee.local settings page and select ‘No HAT’ and disable ‘USB DAC’ and you will still see the Ropieee extension working.

Or you can just trust me :slight_smile:

In the ropieee.settings page you are telling the Ropieee extension which endpoint of Roon to link to for the cover art.

The HAT and USB DAC are separate to what is displayed, as per the ropieee.settings page

So if this is the case then an LCD displayed Volume control is an even better addition than I thought it might be.I think I need another LCD and Pi setup for the listening room. Be very cool if it could optionally display to HDMI too…that would be the ducks nuts so to speak :blush:

Ya but we need to get out of beta first. Still some things to iron out.

Standard disclaimer for Harry reading this - not a complaint, no rush, take your time ironing out the minor bugs! Progress so far has been stellar

1 Like

Absolutely!!! The more I play with this the more I am liking it

1 Like

Good to hear things sorted out. Reminder: there’s already a brightness setting available: just go to the settings page on the screen by pressing the right bottom corner.

2 Likes

Yeah, that prio 1. Having both the stable release and the beta channel is intensive :wink:

That means that I will not add new features: first we need to come to the point were I feel comfortable to get it out there. After that it’s just ‘business as usual’: slowly adding new features.

‘Being comfortable’ in this case means we’re almost there: but I really want to know what the issue is with the power down cycle.

So if one of you can test it (I can’t reproduce this at all) and send me your feedback that would be great!

Having used this for a week or so with a 7" screen I am liking it. The things I don’t like are nothing to do with Ropieee, rather than the design of the Pi/Hats and the available stands. I bought a SmartiPi Touch stand. I was touted as able to accomodate hats but it duesn’t. It uses a cover to hold the Pi in place exposing the GPIO pins for a hat. All very well but my Boss DAC has a protrusion on the bottom so you couldn’t fit it. I hacked a hole in the cover so I could fit it but the RCA jacks face downwards and there isn’t room to fit any decent sort of a cable. Most frustrating. In the meantime I have ordered a different stand and purchased some rightangled RCA adaptors. I will use the SmartiPi case with a USB out into a wired 4 sound Recovery USB Reclocker.

Anyway so far liking Ropieee. Great work Harry.

1 Like

The element14 / Farnell LCD case can hold a HAT but you need to drill or open up holes for RCA and speaker connections…Ill take a pic of mine later for you. not too expensive and the 40 pin connector area is at the bottom of the stand so the RCA’s would protrude upwards

http://sg.element14.com/multicomp/cbrpp-ts-blk-wht/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-enclosure/dp/2494691

Sean is correct. Basically RoPieee with touchscreen can act as a controller/remote for every zone in your Roon Setup.

This is controlled by the zone setting in the web interface.

I have a second RPi 3 running with an Allo Boss DAC + Volt AMP powered by RoPieee. :+1:

The RPi runs 2 zones simultaneously: Boss DAC + USB.

Currently using headphones but I have a set of Dali Fazon Sat speakers coming my way.
Should be fine for the kitchen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@spockfish wonder if this is supported in the linux used

http://www.denafrips.com/store/p4/DAC_ARES.html

Just picked one up for testing this week. Interesting brand :stuck_out_tongue:

Update

Works OK at 100% volume but adjusting down with Roon gives white noise like output until its 100% again.

Native DSD is selectable and all rate indications are green…including DSD512 but DSD512 also results in white noise when upsampling…DSD256 is fine