Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Thanks to a generous sponsor I’m able to buy a amp-based HAT; with that I can test these scenario’s and (probably) fix it.

Guys, small update to the beta channel.

This update improves a little bit on the roon core watchdog mechanism that was introduced to fix @dabassgoesboomboom’s famous bug.

Furthermore the touch app has seen some improvements wrt error handling (in case Roon server is gone, the remote extension is not enabled etc.). And I’ve played around a little bit with screen estate. Nothing to shocking I hope, but merely some experimenting. I’ve increased cover art to the max with this layout: if we want it bigger we need to move the controls.

Anyways, enjoy!

1 Like

On my wishlist is bigger cower art and a screen saver clock like SBT :sunglasses:

1 Like

Bigger cover art, I don’t mind the playback controls on the right, and screen saver clock would be the 2 things I desire. Thanks for all the work so far.

1 Like

Hey Harry, got the latest update. I’m very gappy to see the circle disappear ! lol

But yes, myself and dad would love the biggest cover art possible, even if the text and controls have to move. He’s nearly 70 and had no issues with using the size of Picoreplayer’s controls. I’m sure the 3 control buttons you have could be bigger than in Picoreplayer since they had more buttons. 3 is all we need though, as per your current screen

This pic of Picoreplayers screen taken from the web:

With so much screen real estate possible (compared to the classic Squeezebox Touch) it seems a waste to not fill it with glorious cover art.

I’ve also noticed that the quality of the cover art image quality of Ropieee is sooo much better than Picoreplayer. Making use of that beautiful HD screen :heart_eyes:

It’s definitely already so much better with the new 0.3.3 update.

Amazing work, as usual. I can’t believe what you’ve achieved in relatively little time. I wish I had even half your talent lol

I’m still having a lot of issues getting the iqaudio digiamp+ hat to play sound reliably after reboots and settings commits. However the lcd part of it and the extension seems to be much more solid.

Reboots don’t seem to recover the sound but a shutdown seems to work, when pulling power is the only way to restart the device.

It’s now updated to 0.3.3 on the extension. But I’m not seeing much difference in the artwork size…

I would happily have smaller play icons, if the icons are accurate then a playing/paused test indication isn’t needed. The play point bar along the bottom isn’t really of use unless you can change the playing point on the interface…a simpler x:xx of y:yy text version would be adequate imho, and +1000 for the clock in sleep option :smiley:

@spockfish I have some questions that may perhaps seem a bit dumb but I am new to this so please have a bit of understanding that perhaps they seem a bit stupid.

I have plans to run a Allo SBS Sparky with their USB bridge and DietPi with either Roon bridge or HQ Player NAA but I would like to also have a display showing what is playing on Roon is it possible to run a RPi with Roopieee and a display at the same time?

So sound output is from Allo USB bridge and controll and screen is from a RPi with Ropiee? I would like to keep the audio output seperated from the screen?

Perhaps there are easier ways to do this, if I would opt for a Allo DigiOne instead and run one RPi with audio output and screen would having two seperate 5V PSU help seperating them so the screen wont affect the DigiOne card?

Hi Fredrik,

It’s indeed possible to run an RPi with RoPieee that just acts as display and controller. The touchscreen is connected to a zone, (you can configure that simply from the web interface) and thus not dependant on it’s own audio output.

Of course with a HAT like a Digione you can run everything from a single RPi.

Hopes this clears up a few things!

regards,

Hi.

Thanks for your quick answer.

“The touchscreen is connected to a zone, (you can configure that simply from the web interface)”

Is this in Roon or Ropieee web interface?

I have used Roon for a while now but all this endpoint thing with RPi and so on are totally new to me but I really like the work you have done with Ropiee and would like to be able to use that in some way.

To bad there are no HAT like Allo USB bridge for RPi :frowning:

Oh sorry.

That’s from the web interface of RoPieee. When you install RoPieee you will be able to configure it from it’s own web interface. That’s also the place where you configure which zone the touchscreen will act on.

I’m not sure what you mean with “To bad there are no HAT like Allo USB bridge for RPi”.

Basically the RPi with RoPieee can act like a USB bridge. With a big difference of course, the Allo USB bridge has better specs but it’s also more expensive.

Yes I know a RPi will act as a USB bridge but I want something like Allo USB bridge that seperates the USB from the controller card. Perhaps dont make much difference to run USB from an RPi I dont know but better safe than sorry :slight_smile:

https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

This is from Allo webpage.

"So why not use a cheap laptop, RPI or even Sparky as a USB transport? Well you can, but they all have some limitations.

First, laptops are noisy… very noisy. On USB we usually see spikes at 100mV of noise. That will have an impact on sound system.

How about RPI? RPIs are great and very energy efficient, but on USB they have 2 major flaws. First is that bandwidth is shared between the 2 USB ports (so in fact there is only one USB), and second is that ethernet is also shared on same bus! Of course, you also have the noise on USB at about 60mV.

Maybe Sparky? The 2 USB ports (next to the ethernet port) share one input to the CPU (split by a hub). Noise on USB bus is about 27mV (pretty good) and ethernet is completely apart (bus is not shared). So it’s ok, but not great.

So we developed a new board that is connected to the bottom of Sparky. Sparky has 2 independent USB controllers (2 highways), and we connect to the second one. Then we use a new USB IC that recloaks the stream using hi quality NDK Oscillators, and everything is powered by independent LDOs and hi frequency filters. The final noise of the USBridge is lower than the noise of a battery"

Hi,

This is not related to ropieee itself, I guess it’s more of a Pi3+touchscreen issue:

I hear a hiss in my speakers regardless of whether Ropieee is playing anything or not. The hiss is similar to what the hard drive needle makes when seeking. It depends on what’s displayed on screen, e.g. clock seconds on UI can be heard.

Tried powering screen with a separate PSU with no luck. I’m streaming directly via onboard USB port to a DAC. Not sure which direction to go - looking for a better power supply or thinking about a USB output hat?

If this was answered elsewhere please send forward a link.

On my todo list today is unplugging the screen and checking for hiss without it.

Thanks!

Yeah I’ve read it. But that still provides you with the option to use a separate RPi with display running RoPieee to control the USB bridge.

Well time will tell what path I choose and again thanks for your answer.

Yeah, ‘the search’ itself is also part of the hobby I guess.

In a few days I expect my Digione to arrive. While right now I’m using USB myself as well, I’m curious on how this performs. I’m still amazed what you can achieve with a 50$ endpoint.

Hey Harry @spockfish

With Extension 0.3.3 this issue has disappeared on my system :smile:

No more disappearing and reappearing of the extension in Roon after a fresh install.

No I fixed that :wink:

Ya I know, just wanted to let you know from my end too.

Reliability is really rock solid now. I’ve tested a lot on two ‘complicated’ network setups this weekend and it’s rock solid every time

1 Like

I had a rather nasty issue with the DigiAMP+ today…was adjusting the volume and it went very loud then low and loud hum in the left channel speaker…I think at the time I gazumped the core from playing to with one stream from another core…and maybe it got rather upset as the new core was not consoling the display…I shaped back to the other core after pausing the 2nd one and seemed to get back to normal but the dog was a bit upset at the sudden burst of audio then hum…so was SWMBO but I think we are back to normal.