[Investigating] ARC B260: fix for missing images in downloaded content - STILL NOT QUITE

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As far as initial testing shows, this is the first ARC build where my images seem complete in offline mode.

And not just those of downloaded content, but also streaming content - at least if they were previously re-cached, as far as I can tell for now.

If it stays this way, I consider this fixed:

3 Likes

I still have all the album covers in offline - good. It seems that albums downloaded a few weeks ago still have the blurry covers, but new SDL downloads look fine, so I guess I’ll have to redownload, hopefully one last time.

Edit: It seems that it needed a cache refresh. I didn’t trigger one on purpose (as I didn’t know how), but I did turn off SDL and let it remove the SDL downloads. Those SDL downloads that I had converted to “keep” were retained, of course, and it seems that turning off SDL and turning it back on made them refresh the image cache, as the image quality for the retained ones is now OK without re-downloading them.

Did you notice at which point that refresh happened?

I’m following your trick and I’m in the re-download phase. When I went offline during that process, the “kept” SDLs contained low resolution graphics.

I had some older SDL downloads that I had configured to „keep download“. I checked those and they were blurry (while newer ones were fine).

I switched off SDL and it popped up the info that this would delete existing SDL downloads but those set to „keep“ would be retained. I confirmed this.

Then I checked these blurry „keep“ downloads again, nearly immediately, and suddenly the images were fine, and stayed fine when I re-engaged offline mode.

It doesn’t work for me.
After updating to the B260 (Android), I cleared the cache and deleted the SDLs.

ARC started downloading SDL and after downloading 4 albums, I activated offline mode (I never entered the individual album page but only the download page where the thumbnails of the covers were all there).

When I switched to offline mode, I entered the page of each album: for 2 the covers were low resolution, in 2 others the covers disappeared replaced by the usual gray image. Going back to the downloads page, the thumbnails have gone gray here too.

It still is fine for me. I do think that there is more than one issue because there were fixes in the past but the problem continued for me. Whatever my specific issue was, it does look to me as if it was finally fixed. Maybe best to open a new topic and referencing this one?

Edit: or I can unsolve this one, I guess

Edit: I notice that I still have gray covers for some streaming albums while in offline mode, although I had scrolled through the whole album list to cache them. Strangely, most streaming covers are fine in offline mode but some are not.

Artist pictures are the opposite, most don’t have a pic while offline (despite scrolling through the whole list previously) but some do

It seems to perform better on my Pixel 7a with Android 14: of 12 albums downloaded only 1 is low resolution and no gray cover.

It seems that the biggest problems are on Samsung S9+ with Android 10 where further downloads just performed have the same problem: covers that disappear and are replaced by gray ones and low resolution covers.

Mine is an iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17.4.1, FWIW

Seems like a different problem, not album covers / artist images?

Oops I’ll delete.

That haven’t worked for me neither.

After switching off SDL, deleting all (but “keep”) SDLs and starting SDL again all the older kept downloads had low quality images. Entering and playing each of them while online refreshes image with higher quality. Don’t know for how long…

And freshly automatically downloaded SDLs still contain low quality graphics in album description although they present high quality graphics on Now Playing screen.

Weird. I already removed the solution tag from the thread, looks like there are more issues lingering

Hi, @Daniele_Piancastelli, am I getting it right that the albums which do not have covers in your screenshot were downloaded after you update to the #260 build?

Thanks!

–
Ivan

Yes, on both devices I had deleted all downloads and cache after updating to 260. They are all fresh downloads

Got it, thanks you for the reply, @Daniele_Piancastelli, we are going to try reproducing this issue locally.

–
Ivan

I suffer from disappearing images when offline too, even from downloaded albums. Please fix!

No progress in B261.
On the opposite, previously cached images disappeared and my library looks pretty much like on @mikeb screenshot.

They’ve pushed out a new release that includes a fix for this.

1 Like

And appears to be working :+1::pray:

1 Like

My downloads are still ok offline, and this time (B262) the artist images and cached online covers might be as well. :+1: