iOS 10 allows 3rd parties to add widgets. Any chance you guys are working on that?

If this was already asked please delete.

2 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing. Would be great.

One of the guiding principles of Roon is that users should have the same experience across platforms. There are some exceptions, the iPhone app doesn’t have everything that other Controls do, but the devs aim for a uniform user experience. So my guess is that Roon itself is unlikely to add widgets, as that would create a point of departure from Android, PC, and Mac Controls.

BUT, release of the Roon API is coming with Roon 1.3 and that will enable all sorts of user or third party defined functionality. I don’t know enough about either widgets or the API to say how they might interact.

I just started a free trial. It’s only been a few hours but one of the features I miss (besides Spotify) is a widget on the iPad and iPhone. I have that with iPeng when I’m in LMS mode. It’s very convenient to advance a track or pause if I need to stop the music quickly. I also do this with my Apple watch, since iPeng offers that as well. However I can live without that if widgets become available for my other i-devices.

I would really like the widget feature on iOS.

1 Like

Hopefully for the next update roon will focus on a proper iOS app. One that’s smooth , supports gestures, has volume control AND can be used on the go (ala Plex).

One of the guiding principles of Roon is that users should have the same experience across platforms. There are some exceptions, the iPhone app doesn’t have everything that other Controls do, but the devs aim for a uniform user experience. So my guess is that Roon itself is unlikely to add widgets, as that would create a point of departure from Android, PC, and Mac Controls.

A slightly different way to think of this: iOS (and presumably at some point, Android) widgets would offer the same functionality as already exists on all Roon clients, but in the way that’s most idiomatic for the platform.

That is, a uniform user experience doesn’t necessarily mean that stuff should look exactly the same everywhere. Exact uniformity is probably a non-goal, since if an iOS user saw an Android-optimized UI on iOS (with literally 0 changes), they’d probably be more confused than satisfied.

If one thinks of a “uniform user experience” as the same functionality and UI constructs, then making that functionality available in the place(s) where it best fits each platform makes lots of sense. For iOS and Android, those are widgets.

(Also, in practice, all of the platforms @andybob mentioned have a similar UI construct. iOS and Android have home and/or lock screen widgets and macOS and Windows have the tray bar. That said, even if that wasn’t true, I don’t believe it would violate a goal of uniform experiences.)

2 Likes