Ip address discrepency

One of my RoPieee Allo DigiOne Signatures goes missing every now and then.

I realized this morning the ‘devices’ tab has 192.168.1.120 as the ip address. When I try to connect, it can’t be found. Roon says the ip address is …101. When I enter 192.168.1.101 the Ropieee page comes up and in devices that endpoint still says ip address 120.

Maybe this is the hickup that’s causing my problems. Or does one device has two ip addresses for wired and wireless. Excuse me for not knowing this. Should I made some sort of manual change to this?

Yes, because there are two different MAC addresses…

Maybe you are using static addresses somewhere that are causing a conflict?

What does your router software indicate? You can log in thru 192.168.1.1 in your browser.

if you power off the RPi and then try to ping both addresses it was using, if one or both are still responding then you have something using one of those addresses already on the network.

When I go into my router, I can see a lot of ip addresses that were used in the past for various devices, but I have to look for the one’s that are listed as “active.” You can also use the Fing app on your cell phone.

I had a little used IP camera that I turned on to watch a bird nest then had all sorts of issues with one of my end points… it had a fixed IP address done prior to my current networking setup and would make my RPi DAC connection come and go (the pi had an address reservation in my new router setup)…took me a while to twig what was going on. similar thing with an older TV with network port for updates that was unplugged for ages and when it was connected same issue.

use Fing with the RPi off to see what’s out there and with it on on another sweep.

Yes, I set up fixed ip addresses for Sonos at one time. Thought fixed ip addresses might be best so I could assign them them identifiable names in my router app.

Should I go back to not fixed ip addresses? Will go with what you say yo do.

I’m certainly not a network expert, but I have never used fixed IP for anything.

The pros use static addresses, but they then set the DHCP function of the router software to exclude those addresses. Overkill for a home installation.

My advice is to remove the static addresses you set on whatever devices you have set them.

Go into your router software and set reserved addresses for those devices.
This will accomplish what you wanted to do using static addresses.

1 Like

Often you need to use a fixed address on a device to explicitly specify other things like Using different DNS set other than the DHCP service on the router might give out to the other less specific ply needed devices.

I use different DNS servers on my core machine as I want it to explicitly use 1.1.1.1 etc for tidal and other roon needs. My routers dns definitions also cater for VPN on my Amazon and Apple TV devices for USA connected accounts

I’m also a network guy so have a reasonable handle of how all this stuff works…until it doesn’t :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you. Will do.

Had to install glass shower doors in my son’s bathroom yesterday.

Still problematic. My headphone Alli disappeared. They up address listed on webpage was my garage door opener and not the all. I had to connect ethernet. There was an update. Reboot. Unplugged and still missing. My Wi-Fi, after months of being rock solid, is iffy. Listened last night to music with 50 foot Ethernet strung from 3rd to 1st floor.

Will investigate today. Might reformat micro card and reinstall ropieee.

I would double check all your devices for fixed ip addresses in the device and also any reservations. I had some old fixed ip devices that I hadn’t used in years since then I updated my router and also used dhcp reservations and some old devices I eventually connected messed up this on a couple of endpoints and took me some to find.

Interesting find:

When I plug ethernet into the unit and go to network tab. the WiFi Network says error: 01. Then finds my wifi network. Is this what seems to be causing the problem?

I removed the card and my pc is saying the file system is corrupt. I think this has something to do with this all.

I would send Harry a feedback packet in the advanced tab and post the reference number it gives you here

You can use fixed or static or a combination. Why you’d want to do this doesn’t matter. What you absolutely cannot do is statically assign addresses from within the DHCP range. That is guaranteed to give you problems. And, if that statement doesn’t make sense then do not use static addresses.

One other thing of note. Some devices, if they cannot reach the DHCP server, will use the last address it received. That’s bad behavior and can cause duplicates = problems. This can occur during, for example, during a power outage or if you reboot your router. Most routers do not have persistent DHCP state through a power-cycle and this can lead to the devices and the router being out of sync as to what’s assigned. Poor design of the router. The only way to solve this is power everything off. Power-up your router first (DHCP server) and wait for it to boot. Then go power on everything else. As the devices boot they will request an addresses and the router can start properly tracking assignments again.

3 Likes

I did have fixed addresses in the DHCP range.

I removed all fixed addresses. Also increased the range of available addresses (it was getting tight).

I think my laptop reads a card as corrupt the first time, always since it is using a reader, but I’m jyst guessing.

Deleted fixed addresses, formatted different micro card and reinstalled Ropieee. If still having a problem, might need to switch out pi board in the Allo signature (I don’t think it’s customized in an’t way), maybe WiFi is damaged???

Will see if it drops out today.

I use static IP addresses for my Raspberry pi audio players. The reason being I have 40 or so devices from phones to cameras all over the house. Using DHCP it is difficult to keep track of 7 RPi nodes. If you assign the static IP addresses to your nodes it is easy to keep track of them by looking at your connected devices in your router. This may seem daunting but once you see how to do it easy. To change an IP address just go into the network settings for Ropieee and type in the static address. Easy as pie. While you are checking your IP addresses also check your MAC address. The MAC address is unique to each piece of equipment. Sometimes the MAC address is missing in Ropieee, and it drives Roon crazy.

Of course, one doesn’t use any static address that are in the range of DHCP. Doing so is just asking for trouble.

For that reason, I prefer reserving address via my router software.

1 Like

I set aside 49 IP addresses for static IPs. If one uses the old familiar 192.168.50.1 as the gateway, and then start the DHCP leases at 192.168.50.51, there are 49 IP addresses for static assignment.

I use static addresses for anything in my house that is static. That’s desktops, printers, servers (obviously) and audio devices. I agree that it’s super easy to check on things when you know where they are. The stuff that is DHCP is the stuff that bounces around like phones, laptops, tablets etc.

I limit my DHCP range to 100-255 and everything static lives below that.

I’ve been doing that since I started dealing with networking decades ago. Works well.

Sheldon

1 Like