iPad as Endpoint with Dragonfly DAC: which adapter?

What impedance phones are people using. My HD 800s are 300 which makes the Red run flat out to get any “noise” out of them

Mike

I use a Sennheisser HD 800 into an Ipad Pro.
I use a RME Babyface in Class Compliant mode into the “camera adapter” and an Accu Pack.

I really enjoy that “Headphone Station”.

Mike:

Impedance of my Audio Technica ATH-M50x is 38 ohms.

I can’t find the equivalent for iOS but with USB OTG for Android phones, the output is typically limited to 5V at 100mA, for battery power consumption reasons obviously

“OTG devices can provide up to 500mA, but in realistic terms, handheld portable electronics don’t have 500mA to spare for external loads. 100mA is a commonly accepted realistic maximum”

To get the spec on the Apple lightning port, you need to sign up for the Apple MiFi program and there’s an non disclosure agreement (NDA) with that apparently.

But I do remember reading somewhere (can’t find it now, probably taken down by Apple) that it’s very similar with iOS’s lightning port, limited to ~100mA output, roughly.

So any DAC that draws more than 100mA (like the Explorer2) is going to need external power, which is probably why it wouldn’t work for you @Geoff_Mirelowitz with your iPad (only a guess on my part).

With the USB 3 adapter which has lightning charging input, you can use an Apple Charger to power it externally - you shouldn’t need a ISO REGEN or similar. I know you already had the ISO REGEN around but just for anyone else reading this.

1 Like

Thanks Sean. Good to know there is another alternative for those trying to use their iPads and a DAC like the Explorer 2.

I’m very happy with the ISO REGEN helping me make this work, as it is an excellent product. I’ve recently purchased Uptone Audio’s LPS 1.2 to power the ISO REGEN (and hopefully a Micro Rendu also) and there does seem to be a noticeable improvement in the sound.

1 Like

I’m a huge John Swenson fan, who designed all that gear you’ve mentioned there. John’s taught me quite a lot on optimising my system, and not just with his products either.

Now that the v1.4 upgrade of the microRendu is no longer offered (I got my upgrade done just in time before they ended the offer) I’d recommend the ultraRendu instead.

You’ll regret it later if you don’t go the ultraRendu ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sale on the microRendu I just bought last week, was too good to pass up. ($499 with no equivalent markdown offered on the ultraRendu.) But before I can even consider upgrading I need the MicroRendu to work – which it does not.

It is recognized on my network by the http://sonicorbiter.com web page, but the web page to manage the device never loads. No matter what browser I use the page times out when I try to go to it. I’m hoping to get some help from Sonore tomorrow, but there is no advice on their quick start page or on their FAQ page.

So we’ll see…

1 Like

Their support is fantastic. They’ll get you up and running.

1 Like

I feed mine from an Audiolab M-DAC , stunning , I found the Dragonfly Red a bit short of Oomf hence the question

I suspect you set up has the oomf …

Mike

Apple refuses if it’s gretaer then 100 ma hence the redesign of the Dragonfly to get under the Magic 100

Mike

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the confirmation. Same as Android’s typical 100mA limit then.

I just tried a Dragonfly Red using an Android OTG cable and a Lightning/microUSB converter. Didn’t work.

I don’t think Android OTG cables can talk to iOS devices and vice versa?

As in, not designed to, even/especially with an adapter?

They would rather squeeze their extortionate price out of you

Mike

1 Like

FWIW my problem with the microRendu was solved by the tech support folks at ZyXEL who told me how to reset my power line adaptors. In fairness the Sonore folks suggested I contact them.

So everything is up and running, sounding quite good!

1 Like

When it’s all working, it’s amazing to me how it all manages to work seamlessly, given how many places there are in our home network for things to go wrong.

Now that it’s all working Geoff, don’t touch a thing ! Sit back and enjoy.

I have a bad habit of tinkering with things that are working and breaking things :tired_face:

:grin:

1 Like

The old saying if it works dont fix usually applies…unless you are the warranty :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hehe indeed. Tinkering can be fun though! Mostly madenning but sometimes fun :grin:

I believe the cable (or adapter plugging into the phone) needs to be MFi Certified in order to work with an iOS device. Cables and adapters don’t necessarily need to be made by Apple.

Probably not, but using the Apple Camera Connector is cheap insurance.

1 Like