iPad as Endpoint with Dragonfly DAC: which adapter?

With one of the lightning to usb adapters you also get a lightning port so charging the device is possible while having the usb connected

1 Like

But the adaptor plugs into the iPad or iPhone and then into the DAC (or the power source for the DAC in the case of my Explorer 2 and ISO REGEN combination). So how do you also charge the iPad or iPhone at the same time?

It looks like this

1 Like

To use the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (or a similar MFi Certified adapter) with a DAC, plug a Lightning cable into the Lightning input on the adapter, and plug the other end into a power source. The USB input on the Camera Adapter is where you plug the DAC’s USB output. Finally, plug the lightning end of the Camera Adapter into the iPhone or iPad.

Here’s a photo of the above setup.

Thanks. Looks like you are showing two different devices. The one on top, connected to the red Dragonfly also appears to be what @wizardofoz is referring to.

I have been using the one on the bottom (the one connected to the black Dragonfly) to connect to my Meridian Explorer 2 DAC for months. My set up requires one more connecting cable because the Explorer has a MiniUSB connection. In any event, the device in the bottom of the photo does NOT also charge my iPad or iPhone as it is connected to the DAC. That’s all.

Is that the Black (1.5) or the original 1.2?

Yep the top one allows you to charge your iOS device at the same time. The top one is the one you need.

@dabassgoesboomboom the bottom one is the one I have. Never knew the top one was a choice. Don’t need either now. I bought a microRendu and Uptone Audio’s LPS 1.2 to power it and the DAC. Using my iPad as a Roon remote.

1 Like

I just did a quick image search, so I can’t confirm which version of the Black is shown in the photo. Sorry.

As for the adapters, I own and use both. The bottom one is simpler and smaller, but relies on onboard device power. The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter on the top is clunkier to use, but allows you to connect finicky DACs that draw too much power to use with an iPhone (or iPad, I assume).

I think the DragonFly 1.2 falls into the later category and cannot be powered directly from iPhone or iPad.

Just used my iphone with the DragonFly Black and a USB Camera Adaptor as a Roon endpoint. The MQA lights up appropriately when I change the settings in Roon to see the iPhone as an MQA renderer.

I managed to connect my Iphone + Lightning to USB 3 + USB Audio, all great, the problem is that when you go to sleep the iphone loses the connection as you have solved it? Thank you