iPad Pro 10' and portrait mode

There are some news about this very needed feature?

1 Like

The iPad Pro 10,5" offers too little horizontal resolution in portrait mode for rendering the current Roon app (remember on Retina screens resolution is measured in points, not pixels).

Roon have hinted in the past that a major UI redesign is planned, aimed at bringing feature parity across devices. Be aware however that this is a large project and that Roon do not communicate release dates for unreleased features.

So yes, it will probably be there someday, but for now I would not hold my breath.

I’ve never understood this when the iPhone interface is portrait why the iPad is limited to landscape mode only…maybe someone in @support could explain this :blush:

The iPad and desktop apps are siblings – both require a minimal horizontal resolution of 1024 points to run. The 12.9" iPad offers 2732 x 2048 px. (1366 x 1024 pts.) which is just enough horizontal points when ran in portrait. The 10.5" iPad is 2248 x 1668 px. (1124 x 834 pts.), running out of points when used in portrait.

The Phone app is a different beasty altogether.

Ok but where are you getting these points numbers…in mactracker app I can’t see any reference to this. Only pixel density and iPhone X is 458 and IPad Pro 12.9” is only 264.

I’m confused

1 Like

This explains the usage of points and x2 (and x3) for Retina screens quite well:

My head hurts.

You’ll be fine in time. :slight_smile:

For now – with iPads just divide the pixel resolution by two to find out the number of available points to plot an interface against:

iPad 12.9"
2732 / 2 = 1366
2048 / 2 = 1024

iPad 10.5":
2048 / 2 = 1024
1668 / 1 = 834

iPhone X = x3, so divide by 3
iPhone Plus (any) = x3 followed by a scale-back (this is where it gets ugly :-)).

My head hurts remoting Roon in landscape mode then reverse to portait back to read my books and then again. Hate this.

Marco: It hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then, don’t do that.

AJ

Then I should change software, LOL.

Actually if I could scroll vertically I wouldn’t mind so much even in landscape mode

I absolutely never use ipad pro in landscape thats why I very desire this feature so much.

1 Like