Roon blank screen on iPad and iMac (Missing buttons as well)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus+ Latest release

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear NAS over wired Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Trinnov Altitude 32

Description Of Issue

I use my iPad Pro 12.9" to run Roon in my theater. I am becoming frustrated because most of the time I pick my iPad up Roon has to re-connect and then I usually get a blank screen (screen shots attached.). I have killed the app and restarted, and deleted and re-installed the app but it doesn’t seem to do any good. This happens about 90% of the time. Very frustrating. Also, why does the the iPad have to re-connect to the core every time I pick it up? Even if it’s only been off for a minute or two? Can’t you have it stay connected at least while the app is still active and in memory? And finally can you please look at moving the progress bar from the bottom of the screen on the iPad? It conflicts with the swipe area and if I’m not careful when swiping up to the desktop or swiping left or right I accidentally rewind or advance the music I’m listening to.

Thanks,
John

Hi @John_Swanson_Swanson,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, I have a few questions:

What iOS version are you using?

Can you provide some more networking details here? What is the model/manufacturer of your router, any access points, switches, etc?

What was the page you were on immediately before this behavior occurs? Were you on the Tags screen as shown in the second screenshot? Does the behavior happen on any screen?

iOS 13.3 but this has been happening for a while (sorry not sure when it started.)

Router Asus RT-AC3200 all wired through Linksys Gigabit switches.

I am usually on the album page of the album I am playing (see screenshot) but it has happened when on the Overview page. On the Tags screen if I go to the drop down box and click on My Tags then the screen will populate.

I was just in Roon on my iMac (Catalina 10.15.2) and the same thing happened! So it is not just my iPad. I don’t use Roon on the mack very often so this is the first time I have noticed it. (Screen shop attached.)

Any ideas on this?

John

Thanks for confirming that the issue occurred on the iMac as well. Can you please note the exact local time + date when this issue next occurs on the iMac?

Since you mentioned you have an ASUS router, I would double check to make sure you have “Multicast Routing” set to on, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

If your Linksys switches are managed switches, we have also seen the need to enable “flow control”, this might help here as well.

OK Multicast Routing was off on my router. I have turned it on so we’ll see what happens. My switches are not managed.

John

1 Like

Thanks @John_Swanson_Swanson,

If you see this behavior occur on your iMac again, please let me know the exact local time + date in case we need to go down the diagnostics route.

OK it just occurred on my iMac. 2/1/20 6:43 PM US Central Time

John

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp, I have activated diagnostics mode for your iMac and what this action does is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis next time the iMac is online. Once the logs have been received + reviewed by the technical staff I will reach out to you once again. Thanks!

As an experiment I started using an old iPad Pro 9.7 to run Roon and so far have received no blank screens. On my iPad Pro 12.9 it was rare that I DIDN’T get a blank screen. Not sure what the difference is. They are both running iOS 13.1.1. The 9.7 has minimal apps installed and running where the 12.9 is my main iPad so has tons of apps installed and running.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional data point, I have noted it in your ticket. I see that your ticket is still pending review by the QA team but once that’s been completed we will hopefully have some more information to work with. Thanks!

Is there any progress on this? I have upgraded to an iPad Pro 12.9 4th generation but am still constantly getting blank Roon screens when I pick up the iPad. It is basically useless as a Roon controller. Why does Roon need to reconnect every time I touch my iPad even if I’ve only laid it down for a few seconds? When it does reconnect I usually get a blank screen or if I don’t I lose the place where I was one it set the iPad down (if I am listening to a box set it always takes me back to disc 1 instead of the disc I am listening to.

John

There is no concrete progress to report at this time. There have been a few similar reports of this issue, but when we attempted to reproduce this in the QA lab, we could not get into this state consistently, it appeared to occur at random from what we could tell.

Does this issue only occur when Roon is re-connecting to the Core? Are there any set of steps you can use to consistently get into this state?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.