iPad USB-C - options for headphones with 3.5mm jack

I have a pair of Oppo headphones with a 3.5mm headphone jack. Now that Arc has DSP I could use these whilst on holidays (currently I use them at home via a Bluesound node using Roon DSP to compensate for my hearing loss).

So is a simple adapter the way to go and if so which is a good buy?

I don’t think I need a fully fledged DAC option like a mojo as it is mainly for music to fall asleep by - but I’m open to any suggestions.

.sjb

I use an Apple camera adapter and FiiO KA1 DAC. The higher resolution is worth it to me. Amazon has both. I think you can get the KA1 made for direct connection to USB C. KA3 I think.

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-JadeAudio-Headphone-Resolution-Smartphone/dp/B09JFLP3LS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=49X6TPUUMT9Z&keywords=fiio+iphone+ka1&qid=1686786897&sprefix=fiio+iphone+ka1%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

2 Likes

Bear in mind that the ‘adapter’ is a DAC/ headphone amp.

You could consider a used Mojo v1 which are available for good prices (have been delighted with mine).

Otherwise there are a lot of USB stick type options…

2 Likes

Not the one I am taking about. Also, the adapter allows you to use a power supply to keep the iPad charged. Just make sure if you go this route, you get the correct lightening or USB C for each.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Digital-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B07WF96FY5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26JWI7OW8HN0D&keywords=usb+c+ipad+camera+adapter&qid=1686787181&sprefix=usb+c+ipad+camera+adapter%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

1 Like

@Jim_F I was just pointing out that to connect headphones to a USB C jack you need a DAC/ headphone amplifier.

So, for example, the Apple USB C to headphone jack adapter, while small, has a DAC inside.

So really you’re just deciding which DAC to buy (plus of course some of these will also need their own adapters)

1 Like

I’d bought this cheap but robust 32bit/384KHz USB C DAC/charger dongle.
Does the job attached to my Android 1+Nord, no experience on Apple products, though…

1 Like

@Sloop_John_B What phone have you got? I presume it has a headphone out and the Oppo can be easily powered out of anything?

What @GregD (Mojo 1) and @Jim_F (KA1) recommended are both inexpensive options. I own both.

The Apple DAC is excellent - I use this and the lighting version extensively

3 Likes

Well I just learned something. Apparently usbc supports analogue signals…

Scroll down to ‘ Can you get analog audio over USB?’

What phone have you got? I presume it has a headphone out and the Oppo can be easily powered out of anything?

It’s an iPad Pro with USB-C.

Indeed the oppos used to be powered via my iPhone when it had a Jack so no issues there.

.sjb

I just realised you clearly stated in the thread title what you needed it for. Looks like I have the dumb and cannot brain :slight_smile: :woozy_face:

Your options could be:

I have all three of these, reason I am recommending but there are a million other options available to you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Zorloo Ztella is tiny and decent enough for the money but doesn’t pair well with bright headphones (to my taste obv)

1 Like

I have what looks like a USB C to 3.5 adapter but as @GregD says beware it DAC in sheep’s clothing and a cheap one at that

I eventually went for an Audioquest Dragonfly Red

2 Likes

I use my FiiO KA1 mostly when walking my dog, etc. I also have an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt that works well for this purpose. However, when at home or the MIL’s house, I use a Chord Mojo 2 that is simply superb IMHO if you want to spend the money for it.

1 Like

I gather the cheap apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter/DAC measures well, don’t know if the USB C is the same.

But I certainly feel the Mojo is better, and I’ve been really happy with my used one (at what feels like a great price)

I’ve never used an AudioQuest or Filo - but seem to be much lived.

Thanks for all your help here guys

I’ve ordered

which hopefully will allow me use both my iPad (USB-C) and iPhone (Lightening) with my

to go with these which I’ve also just ordered

.sjb

1 Like

Apple USB-C to USB adapter to Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt to 3.5 mmm wired headphone. Elegant, tiny, great SQ system. Use it for travel with ARC.

1 Like

When travelling I use a Zorloo Ztella MQA version, with either a pair of B&W P5 Wireless (wired) or Bose Sport IEM.
With the latest version of ARC I can used a custom response curve for each pair of Headphones, plus MQA playback.
The Dan Clark Aeon2 Noire don’t normally come with me on travels, as currently either it is short flights to London/Europe etc, or Africa.

I’m late to the party but the iFi GO Link is a candidate, and it’s only £59. It has an integrated OTG cable so you don’t need a separate one. It also comes with a USB-C to Lightning adapter, so covers all bases.

I had a listen at the recent Cranage Show (in the UK) via Meze 99 Classic phones (that I know well). Sounded good, so I have one on the way to me for review. And I have all three Dragonflies so can compare them, although the Black is the obvious benchmark.

1 Like