IPv6 compatibility

Is ROON / CORE IPv6 compatible?

I am currently running ROCK on an Intel NUC on a ipv6 enabled network (using edgerouter and TunnelBroker tunnel service). The current version of ROCK seems to detect ipv6 and uses it for some Roon Services in the cloud. Even Roon ARC detects and prints out what the SLAAC ipv6 address is now. My network is dual stack. I don’t think Roon would work on a pure ipv6 network. But that is a guess.

1 Like

Thank You for the information

What internet provider are you using?

I am using Hurricane Electric for the Internet IPv6, with an Assigned /48

The issue though is on the LAN, or the question. The CORE seems to be using a modified IPv6 address

:ffff: then my IPv4 address.
The IPv6 address is 2001:470:e0a4:41:f970:63f0:4f23:104
And the link local is fe80:0:0:0:1425:da86:a9ae:a8db

Not sure why the HOST is using the odd address.

So what?

I am chasing down odd behavior. What should be an easy ‘DISPLAY’ setup, does not seem to work. Then I used a 3rd party app for the AppleTV that could not ‘auto find’ the CORE until I hard core coded the IP address.

I wouldn’t put much into the odd address, except, IPv6 after 20 years is still not the most adopted stack.

Anyways, thus the question on IPv6.

Hi Kevin

this an IPv4 mapped address. This feature allows to handle IPv6 and IPv4 addresses in the same field.

Nothing to worry about.

• ::ffff:0:0/96 — This prefix is used for IPv6 transition mechanisms and designated as an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address.
    With a few exceptions, this address type allows the transparent use of the transport layer protocols over IPv4 through the IPv6 networking application programming interface. In this dual-stack configuration, server applications only need to open a single listening socket to handle connections from clients using IPv6 or IPv4 protocols. IPv6 clients are handled natively by default, and IPv4 clients appear as IPv6 clients at their IPv4-mapped IPv6 address. Transmission is handled similarly; established sockets may be used to transmit IPv4 or IPv6 datagram, based on the binding to an IPv6 address, or an IPv4-mapped address.
1 Like

Interesting eneough.

I disabled IPv6 on the server, and the Client (both Mac), and the Display function via webbrowser is now working…

<edit / Update>

Turned IPv6 back on, and still working…

i will offer my advice, though unsolicited. Migrate your Roon server to a NUC and install ROCK on it, or buy their music serving linux appliance (depending on your tech prowess). Don’t try to run the service and the streaming over Wifi, use cat6 or cat5e . ROCK on the NUC works fine on a ipv4/ipv6 network such as yours and mine.

The Mac Mini is 10GE attached to the network, but some of the receivers (RoPiee) is wifi attached, and the AirPlay.

Like building things, but what do you find better with ROCK that I might be missing?

Thank You for the help.