Is 32GB OS drive enough for a large library with Roon Rock?

I’m looking at a NUC box that has a 32GB operating system drive for Roon Rock. Is 32GB enough to handle a large library, say 8TBs worth?

I think a 128GByte SSD is the minimum recommended disk size:

I have a 256GByte SSD which makes 199GByte available for the database - which implies that 57GByte is used for everying else (presumably, allowing some room for higher disk use in the future).

Thus, I would imagine that it would be pretty near impossible to get Roon OS running on even a 64GByte SSD if you have 4-8TB of local library storage used.

1 Like

Apart from whether the size is nominally large enough, such a small drive is probably old, relatively slow, and may have lots of writes already as well as not much headroom to replace broken cells.

A new 256 drive is quite cheap and I’d not risk the headache.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Also, 8TByte is large enough to hold a large library.

Scaling up my library (mostly 44.1khz/16 bit FLAC) with a few Hi-Res FLAC) to 8TB would give something approaching 10,000 to 20,000 albums.

This is definately in the range that Roon suggest requires a 256GByte m.2 SSD.

1 Like

I agree with @Suedkiez a new 256 gb SSD won’t break the bank and is, apart from possible hardware failure, future proof.

So, just to clarify for anyone that comes to this thread in the future, the OP is regarding the OS drive for ROCK. That is separate from the storage allocation for the music library, or should be, from the recommendations from Roon. So, going bigger, just for the sake of going bigger, isn’t going to really help anything. Roon Support and Developers have commented on numerous threads in this regard, and even with Huge libraries or near 250K or more tracks, 128GB is more than sufficient to manage the database.

If you really want improvements in performance, faster drives from the newer generations of SSD or NVMe is what would be important. And YES, that usually means that a 256GB or even 500GB drive may be more cost effective, compared to older generations of 128GB drives, but that is more a factor of how PC components are constantly advancing.

Actually, the OP, @Tuckers, was talking about a large library of about 8TByte of media files. 8TByte corresponds to ~12,300 CD’s (assuming ~650MByte/CD, uncompressed). With FLAC lossless comression significantly more than 12,300 CDs could be stored on 8TByte.

If you look at the Roon recommendations on the Help Centre artical that I linked in my first post, you will see that, for libraries of 12,000 or more albums on a ROCK/NUC install, they recommend a 256GByte M.2 OS SSD - not 128GByte.

1 Like

Even if it would (though Wade above is correct):

• You probably won’t easily find a 128 GB drive
  • If you do, a 256 GB drive is probably not significantly more expensive
  • Modern drives are not available with 128 GB at all, and modern is faster & more reliable
  • A larger drive has more headroom for the drive firmware to replace broken cells, again improving reliabilty.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.