Is HQ Player DSP better than Roon?

I do not think sinc-Lx exists?

Roon doesn’t allow me to feed Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless or Deezer HiFi or Spotify or Soundcloud through to my DSP crossover speakers for room correction

And when using Roon with HQPlayer I can change speaker room correction profiles ‘on the fly’ while music is playing.

I see all your arguments are about upsampling (digital filtering) but that is just one part of HQPlayer’s toolbox.

:wink:

2 Likes

Sorry please, Sinc-Ls is the one I like so much :slight_smile:

Did not try it by myself so far, but this way here should allow to bring any source to Roon using the “radio interface”… Can a local server stream FLAC to Roon?

An absolutely valid point! I said it before, it’s a shame Roon can’t work Spotify or YT music or other popular services.

Another Roon shortcoming indeed, although less important I would think. I seem to remember this was discussed before, maybe in a feature request?

1 Like

not so sure, that this is up to Roon not having integrated more services….

Yes @Marian

HQPlayer is incredibly powerful, much more than just upsampling.

You should actually try it ! Join us.

Instead of popping up every couple of months to criticise HQPlayer :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s a bit off topic though, don’t you think?

No? But let’s leave it there and avoid an off topic discussion.

Back to the topic at hand.

I’m not sure he’s fully aware of all of HQPlayer’s DSP capabilities so I’m not sure about this comment

But of course I agree his and all input is most welcome

1 Like

well, in regards to the other HQP features…A simple DSP for a Pi is not too expensive, e.g. the Hifiberry stuff (https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/what-can-you-do-with-the-dsp-add-on-module/) So, for myself the upsampling capabilities ist the most important.

I’m not sure I’d include you in “most of us” in this context :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me summarize my point and get us back on topic:

• This is about using HQP with Roon.
  • There is a definite overlap between Roon and HQP in terms of DSP.
  • People paying for Roon who compare various HQP filters to one another owe it to themselves to also compare them to Roon’s filters, before deciding they need HQP.

I don’t think these count as criticism. This one might though:

• As far as I’m concerned, a sinc filter is all that’s needed for up-sampling, if the accuracy of reconstruction is the ultimate goal.

No worries! but this is your opinion of what people owe to themselves.

Life is short. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

But if we talk on topic specific things for fun discussion :

HQPlayer offers this option. Roon doesn’t?

hihi, that is not the goal. but this a matter of personal preference. as soon you touch an equalizer your accuracy is gone…btw also when your ears get older…lol…

Correct, that is just my goal. For me, up-sampling and EQ are different things. EQ comes first, then up-sampling, so I want the latter to be as accurate as possible.

1 Like

It does, I believe it’s called “Precise, linear phase”. Kind of says it all…

sinc filter?

Maybe @brian could confirm?

did not read about the theory of mqa a lot. but so far, i believe they provide the mastering folks the option to specify out of 16 devices which one they used so that the reconstruction (unfolding) gets more valid to what was intended by the mastering. in principle not a bad idea imo.

for myself (and my goals) mqa is not so interesting as it requires bitperfect transfer to the dac for second step of unfolding. so i can not easily manipulate the audio, e.g. with an equalizer. using a dsp afterwards is of course possible again… but in regards to get a higher grade of accuracy mqa might be interesting for you?

As the de-facto OP, I would appreciate it if we kept MQA out of this. Just for the purpose of answering your question: you do not want to know what I think about MQA.

3 Likes