Is it me or does Roon degrade sound

Yup. I love this community where music makes a difference. I would say that of the folks who visit us and want to hear “the system” only 10% actually listen.

When they do, some of them have tears when they listen. I have a lady friend with hearing aids who was crying when I put on Rumors - Fleetwood Mac on vinyl. She kept saying thank you. She said she hasn’t really heard music in over 10 years.

The other 90% of the folks that listen are looking at their phone, talking over the music and not being present. Sort of pisses me off a little then I usually shut it down and they don’t even notice.

So yes, I am fortunate that I really hear and feel the music. And my special friends who come over do as well. With a little scotch, some weed and the lighting just right…. Mmmmmm, Mmmmmmm Good.

9 Likes

More things to control for in listening tests :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Best point is: even if there are very slightly differences…I bet my ass that 9 out of 10 “complaining guys” have:
a) not the equipment anyway to hear that proven
b) have not invested a single minute or cent into the room acoustics what have WAY more influences as most guys thinking
c) are writing it because of the have read elsewhere about the sounding of Roon…

I can say clearly there are differences, but these are not due to any sounding of Roon…

I just switched to another setup and had 2 weeks of testing.
Old setup was a NAD C658 with two Audiolab MB8300.
New setup is a Michi X5 with a direct USB connection to my Roon Core.

During the testing I was driving the NAD C658 with Roon and with BlueOS. (Streamer inside of C658 is native BlueOS and Roon Ready)
With a switched off (!) DSP in Roon, there was NOT A SINGLE difference. And that is assured as I was playing the SAME FLAC files with both engines and as well Tidal MQA with the same DAC, pre-amp and amping.
The new setup is way better…but as different as a setup can be. Different DAC, connected differently…different Amp…

My conclusion is simple: Roon sounds as good as your equipment is able to…and has with DSP the option of adaptions that can correct issues if required.

You sure it was because of vinyl? It could just have been Fleetwood Mac. Or Rumors by Fleetwood Mac. Or maybe she literally haven’t heard any music in 10 years. I remember how I felt listening to music for the first time after only a few months of complete musical isolation, during my military service. I smuggled a tiny portable AM radio, with the cheapest ear buds you can imagine, and I totally hated that particular song before. Yet, it sounded so good, I felt like dancing and singing along. That proves anything you want it to prove, or nothing.

2 Likes

That’s funny Anthony_B & mikeb. My girl, (woman / person / them / they / whoever she is), of 21 years, asked me what I did to the sound, one time, from the kitchen, while I was trying out different speaker cables. I am seriously lucky to have a partner who can offer a valid opinion between an Audio Research preamp and something else.

I might need to A/B scotch vs bourbon and see which sounds better!

6 Likes

That’s a great point.

To see if there is a difference in sound while sipping various types of scotch!

1 Like

Well, as far as bourbon goes, my system sounded unbelievable the other night after some “High West”. Pretty good stuff and not too many $$$s. (Fyi, Imho)

1 Like

I guess this is the drinks home:

As usual, we start with a serious conversation and realize that the right drinks any listening session sounds better.

Think of the time and money which can be saved in search of that perfect system. I do think weed must be a part of it all however to round it all out. Sort of like the racks.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you be matching drinks with music? Surely scotch improves the sound of, say, Nazareth much more than of ABBA. You’d need some Akvavit for that (and lots of it!)

Have we seen pictures of the system and it’s surroundings?

You’re lucky that you’re posting on a Roon thread. On forums with less tolerance for subjective prattle, you’d quickly have disqualified from being taken seriously.

The wife … really!

4 Likes

Is that one of the infamous “hand cream remotes” on the table there?

Yeah it’s a fancy remote Roon volume knob :wink:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Since you asked. The wood above the seating area is part of the sound treatment for the room. The ceiling and walls are treated. Made a major difference.

17 Likes

Thank you for posting! That’s a really special rig and room, congrats!

Curious on the room construction - is there any broadband absorption / traps built in?

Ahem, you sure about this :wink:

Very nice, room looks very relaxing :sunglasses:

1 Like