Is it me or does Roon degrade sound

I am listening to Qobuz through my LINN KLIMAX DSM using Roon as a front end.

In a controlled setting AB testing it is very clear that the Roon sound quality is significantly less than the same tracks played on the LINN KLIMAX.

I am new to the forum and not a tech guy so this may have been covered. However, to me, there is no question that Roon is having a negative impact on streaming quality.

My system is quite high-end and maybe that makes it easy to notice the difference.

I am wondering if this is an experience others are having, and if Roon has addressed this in the past.

I love The Roon interface however I can’t really use it after having heard the LINN. The LINN interface is just awful.

What is going on and why does Roon result in a change of sound quality?

Rocco

3 Likes

raw

55 Likes

Most roon users don’t have high-end systems which is why we think it sounds, groovy.

21 Likes

Mines crap so I don’t.

9 Likes

It’s you.

Well you did ask.

23 Likes

I have a Naim kit with Kef R. Roon is great!

4 Likes

Bookmarked for future use :blush:

9 Likes

Well ROON for me on my AIYIMA DAC-A5 PRO, CHEAP AS HELL core, Mediocre HIFIMAN HEADPHONES, WIIM MINI & AIRPOD Pros sounds sublime.

If I could recommend one thing, it wouldn’t be to word your post in the way you have. It comes across a little ‘look at me, I’m Mr Amazing and my hifi is the best in the world and I can afford £30k on my LINN KLIMAX’ and may rub others up the wrong way.

Or is it me

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All posts including this and following this from me are tongue in cheek and are harmless. Sorry.

14 Likes

Could you post a pic of your signal path, it’s possible it’s not “perfect”… click the blip, eg:

4 Likes

Your system isn’t high end enough I’m afraid to say. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Unfortunately your system isn’t as high end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t trust my ears, I trust my wife’s :wink:

16 Likes

:rofl:

/10char

Seems to indicate it should sound good.
I’d suggest you need to maybe spend more or power or ethernet cables?

Or maybe your just not comparing apples with apples.

What happens if someone who knows nothing about hifi listens?

2 Likes

They say “you spent how much?”

14 Likes

I didn’t know we were a clan, cool. Just confused about what our ethos is… :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

No danger of that with the Linn app then

5 Likes

And that would be controlled blind ABX testing?

Assuming Linn’s RAAT implementation is not terribly broken (not something I would discount for a generic “audiophile” brand, but Linn usually knows what they are doing) and that you are not applying some DSP to Roon and are actually playing exact same file, there’s no rational reason it would be different, so it isn’t :slight_smile:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

1 Like

I’m Scottish and yes, the Roonies Clan is real. Until now I was the only clan member.

Who will join me?

7 Likes

So what’s our ethos?

1 Like