Is it possible to create Works/Compositions, like in classical music?

I’ve got a bunch of boxed sets of multiple Grateful Dead shows… The box might be three or four shows that span 15 cds, for example.

When importing them, they just appear as one giant blancmange of tracks. I can go in and edit multiple tracks, and add the date/place of the show, so that helps.

But what would be great would be to be able to select multiple tracks and create a “work” or “composition” like for a classical piece.

I looked all through the mozart piece below, and I can’t see where the “composition” info is found. To be fair, that’s a Qobuz release, and my Grateful Dead recordings are ripped CDs, so there’s probably something within the unreachable metadata that I can’t see.

Is it possible to do this within roon?

Since they are local files - look at the Work/Part section here:

yeah, thanks, I did look at that and I’m probably more confused than when i started!

so, these tags (which I’ve used a little bit but not for this), it looks like they get managed/edited in some kind of text editor outside of roon. (At least the formatting on the page makes it look like this is some kind of deep XML-kinda coding.)

Anyway, just curious if anyone’s had success figuring this out.

Any tag editor will do don’t worry about the xml side of things. Add a tag called Work and another called Part. Populate them with the overall work name and then the parts.

recommendation? (I’ve never used one)

You Mac or windows?

Just a word of caution. Whilst adding WORK, SECTION and PART tags work, and will display releases how you like, you’ll lose the composition links on tracks, and picks.

I’ve done this for a few box sets, and I’m reverting to standard listing. What Roon really needs is a way to display disk subtitles (DISCSUBTITLE).

i’m on a mac.

and it’s not a giant issue… just thought it might be an easy edit… Group a bunch of tracks, add some over-arching container, done.

Trick I guess is that the container might span several discs.

MP3tag is the easist to understand but not free although you get a free trail which should get you through. Yate is difficult to use so wont recommnend that, MusicBrianz Picard is the most advanced but its not for the faint hearted, So I would get mp3tag try it out.

1 Like

danke I’ll have a look

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.