Is it possible to upgrade Nucleus to Nucleus+?

Hey everyone!

Is it possible to upgrade a nucleus to nucleus plus? It would seem that you could swap the i3 NUC for an i7 NUC and add the additional RAM and SSD space. Presumably this would void the warranty. I’ve read in a couple threads about people upgrading RAM, but no other components. Is there something I am missing?

It’s not possible. Besides the motherboard/cpu and RAM, there are differences in the software and hardware related to thermal load.

1 Like

By the time you did all that, even if you could, you might as well sell the Nucleus and buy a Nucleus +.

Yes! Make sure you have a good backup, buy a Nucleus+, transplant the music drive (if using one), and restore the backup… sell your Nucleus here in the forum :blush:

3 Likes

maybe a bit off topic…is the Nucleus cpu soldered to the mainboard or using a socket?

It is not socketed.

1 Like

Hi @danny , is it possible to purchase and replace a motherboard identical to the one in the Nucleus+ and install it without sending it back for repair? I ask in case the motherboard on my nucleus+ dies.

Yes, no problem at all. I did resurrect a Nucleus Plus using Intel NUC i7 board.

Just curious - what are the hardware differencies you are reffering to? I have Nucleus+ and NUC i7 motherboards in front of me and this is the exact same model from Intel.

Uh… the largest component… the chassis.

1 Like

The question was: Is it possible to upgrade a nucleus to nucleus plus?

So the owner already HAS the chassis.

And yet, you said hardware differences make the Nucleus to Nucleus+ upgrade not possible.