Is Music streaming legalized theft with no ethical basis to subscribe?

It’s a minimum of 16/44.1 though isn’t it? I have many purchases from BC, the most I got was 24/96 once.

The end of my working life started April 28th, 2023. I have been a Teamster Union member for forty years. Unions are good and bad. I have been provided a good hourly wage, paid overtime, paid holidays, paid vaction, a savings plan with company matched money, health benefits, a pension and safe working conditions. The drawback with a Union is the fact that the inept, unreliable employees are granted the exact same benefits as the good dependable employees. Being a Union member provided me excellent benefits and I would do it again. I am not sure how musicians would unionize, but it would be worth a try.

3 Likes

The contract they sign does have some benefit in the form of exposure. It’s better than nothing, or so the artists reasons. But it’s the best deal they can get because the artists have no leverage.

That as long as it was CD quality or above then it was good enough :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yes that seems to be correct

2 Likes

For me 16/44.1 is enough.

Until they bring out 64/1536 I’m not bothered about hi-res :grin:

3 Likes

I guess they should share the resolution for geeks like us, but what I appreciate about it is that they don’t have price tiers based on resolution. That’s the ultimate rip-off.

4 Likes

They should also move to DSD2048 at the same time, since it has similar bandwidth. We can’t let PCM outdo DSD.

1 Like

We got here because the music industry couldnt find a way to stop piracy in the early 2000’s (at the same time consumers felt they were getting ripped off), Spotify offered an alternative that would legitimize and stop the bleeding. It isnt a direct replacement and it doesnt offer the same level of income for new artists.

I’d argue that our consumption tastes are more fractured than ever before. Its very rare to find people that listen and know the exact same group of artists because there are simply so many available via streaming and we are kept within our own echo chamber. In the 90’s and pre-Spotify it was pretty easy to find common tastes among anyone because our consumption channels were so limited in scope. You had the local/national radio, local music stores, live music scene and your friends. Today its an infinity device in your pocket that feeds you based on algos.

Artists are adapting. The ones that I know are doing well have pivoted to hard media like vinyl, art, tshirts and intimate shows that cost more. They’re also staying away from the trap of big massive live event production values that end up eating all profits.

While Taylor Swift is fortunate to have a wealthy family to back her up, the astute will recognize that shes also creating a new go to market strategy for artists thats lucrative for someone of her caliber. That GTM can be replicated.

2 Likes

Yes I fully agree with that :+1:

1 Like

Is it out yet? :astonished:

While once a great believer in high res, I now see it as primarily a symptom of audiophile nervosa. Mastering and recording quality rules all and CD quality is as good as it gets with PCM. I’m a SACD enthusiast, but I see the primary advantage there is less about DSD, and more about the audiophile labels who give more attention to quality mastering.

4 Likes

Which is a shame. Maybe audiophiles should unionize to hold labels accountable.

1 Like

Current ask is for DSD1024 only, perhaps because requested PCM is only 32/1536.

I’ve been living under a rock for tooooo long. I still have a fax machine :rofl:

Do we need DSD1024 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Forum members should unionize to hold snarky forum members accountable :joy:

4 Likes

For music downloads, red book is enough. No need for DSD anything. (I won’t elaborate, we’re off-topic already).

2 Likes

SACD is a wonderful and superior format, in part, thanks to DSD. A shame it was marketed so poorly.

It does take high quality gear to hear the difference.

As for upsampling PCM to DSD, it’s a matter of personal taste. DSD is a bit more round and soft. Not the equal of vinyl, but tips the needle a tad in that direction.

I disagree with all your points, but again, if you want me to elaborate, we can do it in private.

1 Like

What’s “best” is not objective. It’s personal taste and therefore no wrong answer. I have over 600 SACDs and love them :+1:

1 Like