Is Roon app Device Volume required for Roon Readiness?

Roon Ready devices have Roon SDK code embedded in their system much like Chromecast, AirPlay are. it’s a software stack for manufacturers. Roon Tested is just a device that can be used by Roon as a direct connected device such as a DAC or a network connected device using non Roon transport mechanism, and they have tested it works in their own labs. Manufacturers have to send equipment to be tested to get this status and any Roon Ready device has to go through a thorough certification programme before it will be allowed to work.

And I think things like automatic source selection and volume control are/were part of that certification process with Roon Ready.

Volume only if they allow access to it. On a streamer it is not a prerequisite to have a volume control. Roon Ready Amps yes would require volume control, and source switching automatically. so it switches it on, changes input to Roon and plays the music from just hitting play on the App. And it needs to release the playback as soon as you stop it so the device can be used with its own control.

1 Like

If that DAC does not have a network port, it cannot be Roon Ready, but it can be Roon Tested.

Yes, a streamer can be Roon Ready even without a DAC. It matters, for example, for automatic switching to Roon.

I recall there are posts here asking why a user with a competitor non-Roon Ready streamer cannot switch to Roon from Tidal Connect.

If the device supports multiple sources, yes automatic switching to Roon Ready input is a requirement.

If the device supports volume control when using a non-Roon network source, they must support volume control with Roon Ready as part of (network) feature parity. It cannot be disallowed if this feature is present for other network sources.

I’m not aware of this being a Roon Ready requirement, but Lumin does automatic switching for all network sources.

1 Like

I am sure It needs to gracefully handover if another source is chosen. I am sure I saw that somewhere but likely is part of context switching to and from Roon. I can use my Naim app to override what’s playing in Roon as I am sure you can using the Lumin app.

Also Naim on their streamers only allow device volume if it’s enabled in thier app for the device by default they are fixed volume you need to toggle it on to use its digital device volume which was only added to get AirPlay Certification.

Thank you.

I’m being a little audiophile-obsessed here, I realize. Really was just wondering if sending a digital signal from a “Roon Ready” streamer to a DAC that is NOT “Roon Tested” would somehow “undo” the assurance that it will work well with Roon. Sometimes it doesn’t, specifically with MQA, but overall it’s a better DAC than my “Roon Ready” one.

Anyway, thanks for the help!