Is Roon interested in bit-perfect for Roon ARC Android (for DAPs that actively support this)?

Firstly I was referred to this existing thread when trying to create this one:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/android-src-bypass-for-bit-perfect-playback-like-in-uapp-app/129289

where it was noted that "Before [Roon hardcoded resampling into its Android ARC app] Roon used [Android SRC] and it was a dog’s dinner and never played anything nicely.

I should just note that there are now DAPs in the market that will simply pass the audio bit-perfect to the DAC if your app passes the audio to “Android SRC” (which is modified / deleted on these DAPs).

I happen to represent the manufacturer for one of these (HiBy Music). Is there any chance for Roon to come out with an alternate version of its modern ARC app, which simply puts out the output audio stream for “Android SRC” in which case some (many?) dedicated android digital audio players will actually be able to play the result bit-perfectly?

Is there anyone I can talk to about this? I tried sending an email but didn’t get a response. Mind you, it could be our mail host acting up and eating your email, in which case, my sincere apologies.

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
joe@hiby.com

5 Likes

Hi @Joseph_Yeung,

I’ve tagged Roon’s management so they will be notified about your post.

1 Like

The CTO has already expressed on this forum that it is on their agenda to support DACs in DAPs, Roon dot tend to hand out deadlines on things so it’s just s matter of when. But please push as much as you can with them as being a DAP user I currently dont use ARC for this reason and would love to be able to.

Currently Roon ARC support bit perfect via USB when enable USB driver. There’s no support for internal DAC for DAPs and even Android phones. Despite DAPs has built-in modified Android OS to bypass SRC, it still required a specific driver. Currently, only UAPP (USB Audio Player) support bit perfect internal DAC playback for both DAP and android phones.

As more people start to use Roon ARC, hope this situation will change for the better.

@Joseph_Yeung, Thanks for reaching out. Our partnerships team will contact you shortly. We are already working on this with other DAP manufacturers, and it’ll be great to have HiBy participate as well!

10 Likes