Is Roon transparent to my listening experience when playing FLAC?

Okay. If the endpoint is receiving the same info, and the endpoint is the software actually communicating with the DAC, how do you think it is that the Roon Core using compressed FLAC or uncompressed FLAC is going to make a difference? As long as the endpoint is receiving the data in time, which it is, how do you think the core decompressing FLAC files makes a difference?

That is a good question and I really have no idea how. I don’t know the ins and outs of what is happening in Roon.

For me Roon is a magic box. Perhaps it’s jitter during the decompression? I’m just guessing.

But perhaps it’s my laptop that is the root cause? I’m using a i5 with 8GB but is that good enough? Perhaps there’s something else taking place my laptop that is creating a jutter or timing issue?
Making a side step, Forget FLAC for a moment. other topic.

I’m very much in favour of DSD. I recently have been able to rip my SACD. Don’t ask me why but if I use Roon to convert the DSD content to PCM it sounds much better compared to converting DSD to PCM myself (using my PC) and then play back the PCM via roon.

I did that comparison. I converted DTS to 24bit 88.2 KHz using my PC and and compared the 24bit 88.2 KHz uncompressed PCM file with Roon doing the DSD to PCM conversion. I listened to a track of the animals best off SACD called “Spill that wine” you hear the difference in a split second Roon’s DSD conversion beats direct PCM playback. Does this makes sense, likely not?

Again Roon for me is a great piece of software but I have no idea what is happening inside.

Hi, do you mean DSD (DTS is a lossy encrypted multichannel format)?

Whatever it may be, it is certainly not jitter.

Sorry, yes you are correct I’m referring to DSD not DTS. Thanks for letting me know.
I already corrected it in my post making sure I don’t confuse other readers :slight_smile:

1 Like