Is SMB3 support coming?

I have a fileserver running SMB/NFS-shares and it’s also the backup-point for ROCK. Everything in my network is either NFS or SMB3.

Because of ROCK I have to keep legacy-versions of SMB enabled on the server. So the logical question is: When will ROCK get support for SMB3? Should not be that hard, right?

I would assume this applies for Nucleus also?

2 Likes

Following along as I’m interested

I thought from a previous discussion thread that Rock already supported SMB3 for the last couple of years. It just didn’t support usernames and passwords.

I moved from Rock to DietPi several months ago because of the appliance nature of Rock, but fairly sure I turned off SMB1 on my Synology NAS at the time this discussion was happening. Sonos was the last thing to require it and I removed my file storage used on Sonos as well.

1 Like

I think it only supports up to smb2 currently. Maybe wrong here though.

1 Like

Ah OK as long as it’s not SMBv1.
As I am traveling I cannot take a look at what is set up.
If they upgraded Samba it would make sense that it went to V3 though.

I know I have V3 on my DietPi server locked down to specific users as you probably have as well

1 Like

Nope not touched that side of things at all.

1 Like

Roon accesses a file share on my Synology via SMB. My Synology is configured as:

I don’t believe Roon supports SMB3, but it does support SMB2.

1 Like

As said, ROCK uses SMB 2.10, only device in my network still stuck at that:

Trying SMB 3.11 fails with error on ROCK so only option is for updated SMB on ROCK. And yes, I consider SMB 2 to be legacy, SMB 3 is what, 10 years now?

Roon rarely update Rock and this has been a request for a long time. It does seem like they have lost interest or lack the resources for this.

Maybe you should look at something like DietPi instead. Very functional and always up to date. Very happy since I moved at the beginning of the year. Roon is supported as a top level app