Is the fact you now have to discover 'Discover' some kind of irony?

Just to add, I too am a user of Discover and am not happy it is buried deep down and not on the main menu like in the past. I will bookmark it, but I would like to see this feature have a higher priority.

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Surely the user should be able to choose the prominence of items on their home page and elsewhere. Personally I liked Discover where it was and used it often. If there’s anything you should take from this upgrade it’s that with big changes you are going to piss off some users and please others. Just allow the users to tweak the UI to their taste. Not rocket science.

6 Likes

I’ve been using Roon for about 3 months and as soon as I "Discover"ed “Discover”, I’ve been using it almost daily to resurface music in my local library I haven’t thought about in years.

The first thing I would address with “Discover” is the loading behavior. When I tap on it, it shows a set of results that stays on screen for about 1-3 seconds and then that set of results is completely replaced with a new set of results. More than a few times I’ll see something I want to play in that first set of results and then before I can tap on it, it’s gone! Don’t be such a tease.

I hope “Discover” gets some new life and doesn’t disappear. Thanks for weighing in.

2 Likes

The fact that we couldn’t find it any more? I find Discover useful for the reasons that you sold it to us with. I know that you have strong feelings on things at Roon, but so do some of us and having to wait for the the roon symbol to wobble on the screen before it shows properly, then scroll past things I don’t care about to get to what was a top level action is questionable design

2 Likes

I only found Discover back to today! I thought it was ditched in 1.8. So glad it’s still there albeit hidden.
True, it might not be perfect but like previous posters pointed out: it’s great for exploring some hidden, forgotten, never-thought-of, random music in your collection. Or just for inspiration.

Approximately 50% of my Roon sessions start with Discover.

2 Likes

You can bookmark the discover page which might make it easier/quicker to get to.

1 Like

I’m with you on this. I have a diverse collection and it helps to set me off on a new direction, if I’m feeling ‘stuck’ in a bit of a rut.

1 Like

Will try this. I have been avoiding he home page and using the side menu to navigate to genres or Albums and browsing through my albums to find something that I have not listed to in a while.

This may come as a shock but I didn’t purchase a lifetime subscription to Roon in order to please the Roon development team. In short, I sincerely and respectfully don’t care at all if you’re “not too happy” with Discover. Even including whatever flaws you may see in it, I find it HIGHLY useful when I just want to relax and listen to music but don’t really know what I want to hear. It takes me on enlightening journeys through my library.

Also, specifically saying that attracting new users is a greater priority than fixing features that you sold to existing users is just plain dumb. Perhaps you need to have the marketing dept. vet your forum entries, Brian.

Discover is a feature I use nearly every day. I have accumulated a large music library over the years and Discover helps remind me of artists and albums. It wasn’t so long ago that Discover was promoted heavily by Roon as an important feature. If Roon feels that Discover is not up to snuff, they really should improve it.

3 Likes

I used Discover all the time. I had no idea where it went. I honestly think it should be top of the page, above “Home”… can we put it back?

1 Like

I used Discover quite a bit, and most of my sessions started with it. Lately I have just been going to Albums and randomly scrolling as a start point. I honestly haven’t found the added home page blocks in 1.8 to be of any value, although I tried.

Thank you all for the tip on adding a bookmark to Discover! I think I will find that useful and start using Discover more again.

This was the feature that originally got me to sign up for Roon. I’m acutely aware of the fact that I forget about albums, even ones I love and this feature fixed that.

I do understand that elements of it weren’t perfect for sure and it could certainly benefit from the same care and focus given to other elements in 1.8.

That being said, if this feature were to go away it would significantly devalue the product (for me).

1 Like