Is there a better tablet for Roon remote control app than iPad?

Hi Alexander,
Thanks for your answer. I use windows PCs, so your solution is not for me.

Grüße aus Berlin

Volker

EDIT: wrong thread :slight_smile:

It’s ok, Volker. Wish you a nice day…

Nette Grüße aus Klagenfurt!

Ah - right - my multi-tasking options are in Settings/Home Screen and Dock… I always presumed this setting only applied to the slide over and split view (which I found a bit pointless so switched off!) - we shall see… that’s if I get a chance before the 1.8 update kicks in! :blush:

Update edit: Nope! If I have Safari as a side window (too small to read and navigate, only useful for drag and drop pasting) Roon is ok, it as soon as I navigate away from Roon to a full size Safari window (even for a few seconds) Roon has to reload again…

That’s a Roon problem, not an iOS problem (likely because Roon use Xamarin to port it to iOS and not the iOS native UIKit). Other audio apps, like Spotify, have no such problems even on my 6 year old iPad Air 2, even when acting as a remote for Spotify which is playing music on my PC. Qobuz and Tidal apps are similarly responsive. Only Roon is a dog.

Roon could totally fix the poor performance of the iOS app and give us Lock Screen controls if they wanted to. For some reason, it’s not a priority for them even though I would imagine using iPhones and iPads to control Roon is very, very popular.

3 Likes
3 Likes

27" touch screen! Want one! Shame it’s only Windoze though… I’m Mac and Linux :blush:

Darko is right - the 27" touch screen is absolutely beautiful but alas it is NOT a tablet. Just saying. :grin:

By the way I’ve seen Darko’s name mentioned on various hi-fi forums but never watched any of his videos until now. I rather enjoyed it and I will check out some of his other videos. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Defying every impulse in my Mac fanbody, I picked up a $100 Amazon Fire today and, after some tinkering (turning off sleep mode and pinning Roon to the front screen), I have a pretty nifty controller. Very responsive, and the 1.8 app was available for the Amazon device today.

Given the dimensions, it actually looks and works better in portrait mode, which is a great match for 1.8. If my setup works with no unanticipated surprises, this looks like a fully-dedicated Roon controller for all the world (OK, my wife) to see.

I wouldn’t want to use the tablet for anything else (it ain’t an iPad), but this is a pretty great solution for a non-problem. I’m going to get additional devices for other audio zones in my home.

Yep for the price difference you could kit out several rooms with the Fire and still have money left over. :smiley:

2 Likes

I have a Microsoft Surface Go that works very well as a Roon remote. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Yay! 1.8 has portrait mode on the iPad! :blush:

2 Likes

Is it possible to use Roon via Lock Screen controls on the Fire Tablet? How is the refresh when you go from the Lock Screen into the app? I might have to get one if it’s better than Roon’s crap iOS implementation.

thanks, just noticed in the same menu there is also a "keep the screen awake " option

1 Like

You can turn off sleep mode so the screen remains awake, and you can “pin” the Roon app so that when you turn the Fire tablet on, what you see is the open Roon app. Only exception is when the tablet updates its OS (admittedly a rare occurrence).

So far, it’s a pretty slick presentation when set up that way - you’d think it was a dedicated Roon remote.