Is there a way to favourite a record label?

I miss all this label stuff quite a lot.

Yes, I also would like to search for labels. All music by Alternative Tentacles. Or Tsuba.

On an album level that’s already easy with Focus in the Album Browser.

You can also type a label into search and view all albums from that label.

I also like the idea of raising the profile of label handling similar to artist or composition. Assuming there is enough publicly available meta data of course.

But there is a flip side to the coin. In shuffle/radio mode, I would like much greater variety. But I can imagine also, sometimes wanting to hear similar music. In this case, the label metadata could be used somehow to both “diverge” the queue or “converge” the cue.

It would be nice if all this was configurable. So “shuffle distance” could be fine tuned on artist, tag, label etc. So a value of “1” for example would allow songs from the the same label (or label stable) to be cued after one play (converge the cue) and a value of “30” would allow songs from the same label to be cued only after 30 plays (diverge the cue). If you could do the same thing with artist, composition (part), genre, tag etc. then it would be possible to really fine tune shuffle/radio to user preferences (even at a roon profile level).

I use tags for record labels. It’s worked out really well so far.

I’d love to see this integration too, but it’s often annoyingly bloated. It often shows multiple record labels, or preferences what I assume is the distributing label. For instance most of the Nine Inch Nails as Nothing/Interscope which is listed as one entity instead of being both ‘Nothing’ and ‘Interscope’. This is complicated by some albums being shown as only ‘Nothing’ and others as ‘Interscope’.

Another example is Deadmau5’ catalog, where he also owns the label he’s on, and most of his albums are shown as Ultra Records or something else, when he’s released everything on his own (Mau5trap) since 2009. iTunes and Spotify show this example as correct.

Maybe it’s a matter of how each album is dealt with in the contract as to how this stuff is worked out and presented as metadata, but it’s occasionally wrong.

I use this search/focus function for more niche labels, rather than the bigger guys (the two I mentioned) so I suppose differing distribution/legal deals matter less.

+1. I would love this features as there are plenty of labels that I want to follow and grab everything they put out.

A bit off-topic but I’d love to be able to see TIDAL results when I select record label. Favoriting record labels would be cool also.

1 Like

Searching on record label on Tidal would be truly awesome.

1 Like