Is there a way to force Roon to apply my edits to my music files?

That low level import of library content is a principle that has consequences for users and not only newcomers, like me with still unsatisfactory transfer from iTunes, while it was done years ago. I have been enjoying Roon throughout for other reasons but that remains as a flaw.
Proposal
Why not implement a nice IMPORT Library feature that would nicely swallow and preserve the various specificities of other providers of digitally stored music libraries - with everything nicely mapped in Room: groupings, illustrations, tages, playlist ?
There are not hundreds of providers and libraries and probably 90% of users come from only a few.

Does not it make sense to put the burden on the software for all, rather than on users one by one, for such potentially ultra-fastidious manual tasks as preserving inherited information in full ? To me this is almost a principle in softwareā€¦

Put this as a Feature Request if you wish. The Roon Labs team will read it if itā€™s posted in that category of the forum.

I donā€™t quite understand this proposal. Would this ā€œImportā€ procedure be a preliminary step that newcomers could use before importing their libraries to Roon? And then what would the ā€œImportā€ process be?
Jan

Iā€™d be fairly sure mp3tag could process that folder/file naming and populate some useful tags. Iā€™ll see if I can work out exactly what you need to do - unless someone whoā€™s already familiar with that mp3tag functionality wants to volunteer?

There is a filename to tag feature that I used a lot when tagging my flac files I converted from WAV.

I was asked to supply some screenshots of the Naim Uniti Coreā€™s folder arrangements. Iā€™ve had to use the Nucleus for my examples because Windows in its infinite wisdom has decided to hide my Network files for me. So these screenshots are from the Nucleus, but they are exactly as Naim keeps them.

This is the highest level folder, Artist

Next is the Title Folder. I picked Jussi Bjƶrling to follow. You might notice that Naim has two folders with that artistā€™s name. But one has an umlaut and the other doesnā€™t. Iā€™ll want to fix that.

Nucleus Album Title1

Last is the Track Folder:
Nuclelus Track View

Notice the file named ā€œMetaā€. This file contains Naimā€™s metadata. I can look inside this file (fortunately) and view everything that Naim has collected and I have edited. Using this and the Naim app itself, I can identify all the albums that Roon has failed to identify properly or cannot identify at all.

I was just trying that - never needed it before.

Stripped out the tags from a copy of the Messiah, used this format string to put (some of) them backā€¦

Successful - but I donā€™t know how to parse the folder path as looks to be necessary with @Echolaneā€™s use case.

Any ideas?

I also get this by typing the title into the mp3tag musicbrainz search for one of the listed albumsā€¦

Could be a good starting point for albums that can be found.

(Ignore the bits that say ā€˜Messiahā€™ā€¦ obviouslyā€¦ I still had my files open)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Export function problems with diacritics

Thank you, Andy. I take it you can use that screen to edit any changes you want to make? And if you make editing changes, it makes those changes to the music library?

Iā€™ve been reading the SongKong documentation to see if I can use it, because I already own that software. One thing I like is that I can use it from my iPad via an ordinary browser window. Thatā€™d be good for me because of my back/sitting issues. Can mp3 tag do the same? Either way, I definitely get the message. I need to find the right tagging software to use.

In reverse orderā€¦

I think mp3tag is pc only. And free.

Have you tried using a laptop pc on a tray?

No, I think you accept the musicbrainz data, which then appears in the main mp3tag screen. You can edit it there, which can include applying the same edit (composer, perhaps, or artist) to all selected tracks.

I didnā€™t click ā€˜okā€™ - it made no sense because itā€™s obviously the wrong metadata for the files I had open. In retrospect, I should have tried itā€¦ scratch copy for testing anyway! Tomorrowā€¦

Yes I believe it could be an Import Menu where you would specify the type (iTunes, Naim, whatever) and the root location of that Library, then it would scan through the folder tree to find the illustrations, the tags, the playlist and reproduce their exact equivalent in Roon, alongside with the music files themselves. Would not it be neat ?
And one user could import various types of Libraries. Not forbidden to have several providers before getting into Roon ! Many Roon users are not absolute beginners in digital audio, right ?

@Echolane Would this help?

Oh yes! It works for Naim UnitiServe but as I discovered the hard way, not my Naim Uniti Core. Over a year ago, May, 2019, I was struggling with what to do with the mess I had after I submitted my music library to Roon. I was advised SongKong could read the Naim metadata. I tried repeatedly, over and over again, to try to get SongKong to read my Naim data and it was no go. So I abandoned Roon.

I was determined to try Roon again, again assuming that if I could only figure out SongKong it would solve those earlier problems. Well it didnā€™t. I have the same results, only this time with more than triple the library size. This time, Paul Taylor, SongKongā€™s creator, pointed out that SongKongā€™s capabilities to decode Naim donā€™t extend to my Naim Uniti Core, it only decodes the metadata for the Naim Uniti Serve. I wish I had known that a year ago, and I would have had a lot less to edit!

I will be spending some time with SongKong in hopes it can still help me, though it wonā€™t be as easy as if it could decode my Naim Uniti Core metadata.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.