Is there a way to see how much memory remains on my Nucleus Plus Unit?

Is there a way to see how much ~memory~ storage remains on my Nucleus Plus Unit?

No. Itā€™s an appliance, not a general purpose computer.

RAM or disk?

1 Like

Now whereā€™s the logic in this statement? Being conceived as a single-purpose computing appliance doesnā€™t make it less of a computer, and wouldnā€™t at all impede a Nucleus being able to report back RAM usage and hardware temperature. That its designers felt this wasnā€™t necessary is something else altogetherā€¦

I would call my fridge an ā€˜applianceā€™, but it reports back its temperature, gives alarm when it thinks its water filter should be changed, etc etcā€¦

Your fridge probably doesnā€™t report the temperature and RAM usage of its motherboard, though; only attributes that are associated with its functions as an applianceā€¦

Doesnā€™t make your statement any more logical or stringent, though. A Nucleus Plus still is a server computer, even if conceived as only to run Roon and nothing else. We have heard many times that it simply will crash if it runs out of RAM, instead of giving feedback about its RAM usage and by doing so giving the user a chance to upgrade RAM before a crash. Do ā€˜appliancesā€™ simply crash instead of giving a warning in time?

That thereā€™s no direct way of having a Nucleus appliance connected to a UPS and the UPS being monitored from the Nucleus and thereby allowing a graceful shutdown of the Nucleus in case of the UPS running out of battery power, is another oversight in my humble opinion. Itā€™s still a server computer, and we have been told that a sudden hard shutdown could lead to database corruptionā€¦

And lastly I think that hardware temperature feedback and warning (alarm) is a thing no passively-cooled computing ā€˜applianceā€™ should miss, especially when internal SSD are quite sensitive to overheating.

At least for end customers thereā€™s currently no known way to access the minimized running Linux OS by e.g. Telnet or SSH. This is by purpose. You would also need some basic Linux command line tools in order to retrieve such system information. Such tools may or may not be already installed. We donā€™t know.

Bill, my answer to you would be that no, the Nucleus Plus doesnā€™t allow you to see the RAM memory usage, and this is so not because itā€™s an appliance, but because its designers felt that it wanā€™t a necessary or desirable function to have.

1 Like

Roon OS has an admin web page, which does give feedback about disk usage. It could very well include feedback about RAM and CPU usage, hardware temperature sensor readings, etc. That it doesnā€™t do so has been sold to Roonā€™s customers as by design ā€˜because itā€™s an applianceā€™. Itā€™s my personal opinion that thereā€™s no logic in this statement, that it being an ā€˜applianceā€™ doesnā€™t necessarily mean it couldnā€™t give useful feedback to its users. To me itā€™s an oversight, an over-simplification of what in the end still is a server computer.

If the Roon OS designers felt it was desirable to have their users see feedback about RAM, CPU and hardware temperature, they would have provided the tools to being able to do so on the admin web page. But please donā€™t tell me that it doesnā€™t do so ā€˜because itā€™s an applianceā€™. Nothing stops an appliance from giving useful feedback about its critical resources. If it doesnā€™t, to me itā€™s an oversight by the applianceā€™s designer.

3 Likes

The above is just about the only sensible reply in this thread.

Sheesh, while several go off on a tangent/tirade about computer appliances and RAM usage display (or lack thereof), Billā€™s reference to Nucleus Plus ā€œmemoryā€ remaining probably means disk storage available. Just look at his posting history.

AJ

3 Likes

Yes but the world could do with more people arguing with each other right now couldnā€™t it?

Now please excuse me whilst I pop over to the Audio Science Review thread :wink:

2 Likes

Disk, I think. I want to know how much storage remains on the server. If thereā€™s no way to tell, and if the unit simply crashes after the memory is full, then that would seem to be a real problem. If thereā€™s really no way to tell, then thatā€™s shocking to me, absolutely shocking.

(I donā€™t know how RAM figures into all this. I assume itā€™s analagous to human ā€œworking memoryā€ for completing tasks in real time.)

Simply go to the web admin interface:

You will see how much is free on the main (database) storage and the internal music storage:

2 Likes

OK, thank you. Thatā€™s extremely helpful.

1 Like

Hi Bill,

Disk space is typically referred to as storage space.

Random Access Memory (RAM) is what the CPU uses to hold the programs it is running and some of the data it is operating with (that needs to be accessed and updated quickly).

Hope this helps.

PS if youā€™re interest hereā€™s a couple of Wiki pages to study ā€¦

1 Like

Now thatā€™s funny! :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.