Is there any interest in a music files backup solution?

I agree with @rrwwss52 here. I keep multiple backups of all my music files on external drives, including a portable drive I trot back and forth to my work place about once a month (so that at least one copy of my files is kept in a remote location). I don’t think I’d pay for cloud backup.

3 Likes

What’s odd, is I am having flashbacks to the early 90’s, with a “Data Vault” service I proposed when at ICL Enterprise Systems.
A client sits on your desktop and at night, uploads any files changed during the day, to mainframe storage in the machine halls, which had to be maintained as reference systems.
Service was tiered based on the level of protection and depth you wished to maintain to the files.

In this case, that software would be the Roon Core, no matter what platform it ran on.

What about some more focus on doing a better job with the actual backup mechanism. Tens of thousands of files and folders in a lot of GB are not fun to move around…

3 Likes

I do not see any point in cloud back-up of my actual music files unless I can play them anywhere. If Roon offered a mobile solution then having the cloud would be useful and have multiple purposes. I would go for it then.

4 Likes

I assume you would you want transcoding for all the hi-res content… yah?

Yah, not fun, but no way around it… That said, if your Roon Core is on 24/7, it’ll scream through tens of thousands of files with TB of data without issue. Even if it takes a few days or weeks, it’ll be over and done. Your file content doesn’t change that drastically too often.

2 Likes

@Danny I had not even though about that, but if you aren’t being sarcastic then my answer would be no. I would want to use the same ALAC files and would not need them to be transcoded into anything.

Though what you want makes sense (for many others too), that’s not a backup, it’s a main (cloud based) storage scenario.

My NAS runs in RAID, so no, I am not interested. But, if enough express interest, then you should make it happen.

RAID is not a backup.

7 Likes

I get that you aren’t interested, but it has always been our advice (and most of the rest of the world’s) that RAID is not backup, it is fault tolerance. They feel similar, but they are indeed not the same.

RAID will not protect you against corruption or deletion.

5 Likes

right. That is what I would want. I dont want just a cloud backup

Well, we wouldn’t store your content non-redundantly, so you’d have a cloud backup that could be playable. Think parity, or forward error correction.

I was thinking more about things like DSD256 and 384khz PCM – stuff that’s hard to stream without 5g or a good internet connection.

Jottacloud. Norwegian company. Haven’t tried a restore yet, but backs up reliably. All I do is tell it the folder/s to be backed up, then it is on autopilot.

1 Like

What can I say, if that’s how you understand a backup problem, we (as roon users) are doomed…

1 Like

A mirror image, which my RAID is, IS in essence a real time backup. If drive A goes kaput, drive B can either directly replace it, or be used to rebuilt an exact copy of it onto a new drive. By definition, that is a backup. Granted, it is not an off-site backup, but it still is a backup.

Per Norton.com: “Plainly put, a data backup is a copy or archive of the important information stored on your devices such as a computer, phone, or tablet and it’s used to restore that original information in the event of a data loss.” That is exactly what my RAID configuration does.

1 Like

@Danny that is a good point and there would need to be a cap then, but that gets into a whole bunch of other issues and people would complain about having to transcode their own files… so I guess that would not work

iCloud, Backblaze, Dropbox, etc all do it as live storage + some form of redundancy.

Hell, we could just sit on top of a similar service and just provide incremental content sync with history.

Who does consumer access backup a different (but better) way? What am I missing?