Is there any way to set a ROCK password?

Is there any possibility (even if tinkering/unsupported) to set a network/smb password to access ROCK? My worry is not imagined hackers but very real family member tinkering…

I’ve done a lot of searching but can’t find the definitive answer on this. Any help much appreciated - even if just a link to a feature request vote. Thanks!

1 Like

No there isn’t

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?context=topic&context_id=269582&q=Rock%20password%20%23feedback%3Afeature-suggestions%20&skip_context=true

If that matters to you, then use an OS that allows you to do those things.

1 Like

Ok. What OS should I use that offers such easy management and high performance as ROCK? I chose it as it appeared to be the most capable and easy to manage server solution. Perhaps I’m wrong?

I moved from Rock to DietPi for a few things like this and some basic server monitoring and the ability to run a few additional services.

If you can install Rock them you can probably install DietPi (well as long as you can find the right Version to download)

1 Like

Linux or even the right Windows version. And, as Michael mentioned DietPi seems to be an alternative, although I personally have only used it in terms of running endpoints.

Me too until February this year.

Completely sold on it now after 2 months of very happy usage

2 Likes

I also moved from ROCK to Dietpi - two days ago. I did it because an upgrade to my desktop left a 2TB SSD available so I was able, in the course of about 1 hour 15 minutes (including the Roon database restore and coping my media files to their new location), to get a Dietpi installation with Samba, Roon Server and Plex (for video) all running. This leaves me with nearly twice the local library storage space that I had with my ROCK installation which only had a 1TB library storage disk.

The Samba share for the Roon server is automatically configured with authentication required.

Everything is working great and I now have the ability to monitor temperatures (so I am more likely to know when my NUC needs an airflow service - it’s tucked away out of sight) and to get network statistics and the like.

Later, in the day (still taking very little time) I did:

• Mapped a Samba share from my NAS so that I could use it for music media file backups backups
  • Setup a daily rsync action to back up my music media files to my NAS.
  • Mapped a second Samba share from my NAS to expose my video library
  • Pointed Plex on the NUC at the video library on the NAS
  • Configured a daily apt update so that packages will be kept up to date.

The result is that Plex now works exceedingly well (even when Roon is running streaming to an endpoint) which it never did when running on my NAS.

All in all, I am very happy. The only maintenance I see needing to be done is to run dietpi-update periodically when a new version of dietpi itself is released.

4 Likes

Mike,

Is running Roon extensions as easy as DietPi on a Pi?

Oh I completely forgot about Roon Extensions. Installed the Roon Extension Manager on the Roon server using dietpi-software in exactly the same way as it is done on a Pi running DietPi.

1 Like

I don’t use it as I still have 3 DietPi Based Pi’s but I know others that do and yes it works. As long as the extensions you want are supported on the X64 architecture then you are good to go :+1:

My rock server runs on a tiny rocky Linux container in a PROXMOX environment that runs on a Mac mini. With a 16 GB disk and 4 GB RAM rock works perfectly. No need for nucleus.

Even easier as you can run extension manager. I have all my extensions running init. It can run docker for those that aren’t. Best move I made was moving to dietpi. If only Roon fixed the blessed remote issues and I would be a happy camper.

Dietpi support is also a lot quicker than Roons for Rock.