Is this NUCi3 enough for my library w/ no DSP?

Hi there,

Will this Intel NUC setup be sufficient for a ROCK setup with less than 1TB music files on a separate NAS?

NUC7I3BNH i3-7100CPU
KINGSTON 4GB DDR4 2400MHZ RAM x 2
SAMSUNG PM961 NVME PCI-E 3.0 X4 M.2 256GB SSD

No DSP will be needed.

Struggling whether to get an i5 model, perhaps an i3 would do?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

I have a similar setup (i3/4GB/120GB) but also installed an internal 1TB spinning drive to have everything in one box (setup my NAS just as a backup for the flac files and the Roon DB).
I tried streaming to 3 endpoints simultaneously and still doing some DSP at the same time without problems.
Works really nice!

1 Like

great to hear, thanks for the input ! I also intend to have a 1TB spinning drive on the NUC, and NAS will likely be backup.

One more thing. I did lose some of the snappiness of the UI (remote) on my windows 10 laptop that I had previously when Roon core was running on the same laptop. (UI loads a little slower now)
I don’t notice the difference so much with the remotes on iPad and Mac.

That’s fine, I intend to use either my iPad or Android phone for remote duties, no intention to touch the NUC :slight_smile:

Hi Have ROCK running on a DC3217IYE (4th Gen NUC) which runs an i3-3217U Processor (3M Cache, 1.80 GHz), which I believe is the Ivy Bridge family. It has 8GB of RAM and a Crucial mSATA 240GB SSD, which was available in 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2 form factors with the same performance.
There is a post under ROCK folder, re 4th Gen NUC.

It runs and scans my Library of 75K tracks (5,500 albums) which is on a Remote NAS on a 8TB RAID1 volume.

My playback is with no upsampling or DSP, through to a Sonore UPnP Bridge serving a Naim NDS network player.

Now the Auto-Update on the Storage volumes doesn’t work properly, but a ‘Force Rescan’ takes under a minute when I add any new content to the NAS.

So a latest i3 NUC is not mandatory.
Optimized Linux will run well on i3 with 8GB RAM and a reasonable SSD.

My other playback server is an optimized RaspberryPi 2 running Asset UPnP server, which transcodes all FLAC files to WAV & serves DSD64 natively - and this is a tiny platform compared to a NUC, particularly as ROCK has no GUI elements, just text on a Console, and a web status page.

Simon

Happy to report my smallish library (less than 1TB) runs great on the following ROCK setup:

INTEL NUC7I3BNH (CORE i3-7100U)
KINGSTON 4GB DDR4 2133MHZ SODIMM x 2
SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NVME PCIE 256GB

Every control essentially has instantaneous response, do DSP, direct connection to DAC.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.