Issue with Grouped Sonos devices (Play 1 and Connect)

I recently observed this strange behaviour when I stream to Sonos:

I use Roon to stream to a grouped zone (Sonos Connect and a Play 1) without problems. However if I stop playback, exit Roon and try to start playing music on the same group via the Sonos app, music plays on the Connect only. No sound at all via the Play 1 despite Sonos showing it as grouped with the connect. The volume slider does nothing in this case and there is no sound through the Play1. The only way to fix this is for me to ungroup the play 1 and the connect (through the sonos app) and then regroup them.

Is this normal behaviour or is it something that can be addressed in a future release?

Many thanks

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you’ve made with us.

Moving forward, I would like to grab a set of logs from you using a command line flag. May I kindly ask you please use the instructions found here with the following “flag”: -sonostrace and dump us a set of logs via the procedure highlighted below.

• Start Roon (using the command line flag noted above).
  • Group the Sonos connect + play 1 in Roon.
  • Play music.
  • Stop music.
  • Play music from Sonos app.
  • Ungroup through Sonos app.
  • Group through Sonos app.
  • Play music through Sonos app.
  • Send logs.

-Eric

Hi Eric

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
I followed the instructions and I was able to replicate the issue.
Here is the OneDrive link for the Log
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag_QB40n-e8AjMJomZ3a3RctgyCSVw

Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like me to gather more.
Best
Yiannis

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ----- Thank you for the follow up. I just took a look at the package and it appears that we only received a single log file (Roon_Log.txt) :head_bandage:

May I very kindly ask you to please perform the requested procedure once more and this time please provide your entire “Logs” folder.

-Eric

Hi Eric

Sorry about that, I have done it correctly this time I think :slight_smile:

Here is the log folder

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag_QB40n-e8AjMJqBwVADix_d4IspA

Best
Yiannis

1 Like

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ----- Thank you for the re-supply, and no worries at all :wink:

Looks like we got what we need in terms of your logs, thanks again!. Lastly, can you verify for me where your Roon core is being hosted?

-Eric

Hi Eric, my apologies I did not previously spot the question in your last response. I know it is very late but for what is worth, my Roon Core is on a MacBook Pro Retina 13 (2014 model). Mac OS Sierra.

Cheers

Thanks the follow up, @Yiannis_Kouropalatis!

My techs have requested another set of logs using a similar procedure as before. Please see below:

• Launch the application following the same instructions provide in my second post (i.e via the use of the mentioned command line flag).

• Once th application is up and running (Very important), please reproduce the reported behavior and note the time when the error occurs.

“However if I stop playback, exit Roon and try to start playing music on the same group via the Sonos app, music plays on the Connect only. No sound at all via the Play 1 despite Sonos showing it as grouped with the connect. The volume slider does nothing in this case and there is no sound through the Play1. The only way to fix this is for me to ungroup the play 1 and the connect (through the sonos app) and then regroup them.”

• Once the issue has been replicated and the time noted, please provide us with a fresh set of logs.

-Eric

Hi @Eric ,

I will be happy to do so, can I first double check something:

You indicate in your last post that you would prefer me to first replicate the issue and then follow the instruction previously provided. Can I just double check: You need me to follow the process as before with the only difference being the noting of the time when the issue occurs?

Just want to make sure I got the instructions right

Cheers
Yiannis

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ---- Thank you for touching base with me, I realize that I may have put some of my revised instructions out of order and have updated my previous post. My apologies.

If I may very kindly ask to you review the revision above and if further clarification is needed I will be glad to help. Thanks again!

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Many thanks for clarifying and I have now followed the new instructions. I have detailed all relevant actions below, just to be thorough. The logs’ link is at the end. Please note that I have used a Play 1 and Play 5 (Gen 1) this time as I didn’t have the connect available. The behaviour / issue is exactly the same though.

Roon Core is on a 2014 MacBook Pro 13 Retina running Mac OS Sierra,
WiFi Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U

1. The Terminal Window log:

Last login: Thu Aug 17 09:22:51 on console
YiannisMBP:~ Yiannis$ /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -sonostrace
00:00:00.000 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation
00:00:00.015 Info: Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation] Loaded success => True
00:00:00.015 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit
00:00:00.017 Info: Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.308 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework
00:00:02.316 Info: Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.316 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
00:00:02.321 Info: Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.321 Debug: Attempting to load library: libHIDRemoteNative.dylib
00:00:02.322 Info: Library[libHIDRemoteNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.322 Debug: Attempting to load library: libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib
00:00:02.323 Info: Library[libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
(trak) unknown chunk id: load
i was expecting variable samples sizes

1. Actions taken following -sonostrace (Times listed are local times)

09:52 - Group 2 sonos players via Roon (Play 1 & Play 5 Gen 1)
09:53 - Play music via Roon to the grouped Zone (music sounds fine from both Play 1 and 5)
09:54 - Stop music via Roon desktop app
09:55 - Launch Sonos desktop app on MacBook Pro (Sonos shows the grouped zone exactly as in Roon)
09:55 - Start music via Sonos desktop app (play to the grouped zone). Music plays on Play 5 only, no music from Play 1 (no sound at all even if I move volume slider to max).
09:56 - Stop music via Sonos desktop app, ungroup Play 1 and Play 5.
09:57 - Regroup Play 1 and Play 5 via Sonos desktop app and start music. Both Play 1 and Play 5 sound fine (music plays as normal for both).
09:58 - Stop music via Sonos desktop app.

1. Logs provided through the following link

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag_QB40n-e8AjMM09FeSWCz0oHWBrw

I hope this is what we need but very happy to repeat and provide more data if needed.

Best
Yiannis

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis — This is great, many thanks! Confirming that the logs have been received and attached to your ticket for analysis.

Once my report is updated and passed back I will be sure to provide you with the team’s thoughts/findings in a timely manor.

Again, thank you for your continued feedback and more importantly your patience. I will be in touch.

-Eric

2 Likes

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ------ Thank you again for your continued feedback, and more importantly, thank you for your patience. My apologies for the wait.

Moving forward, this has been a tough one for us to pin down, as we have not been able successfully reproduce this behavior in house. While our team does have some ideas as to where the problem “is” occurring, it is far too early to speculate on these theories.

However, in light of this, I have been asked to touch base with you to confirm that you are running the most recent version of the Sonos application. Note the speaker firmware, just the desktop application.

Looking forward to hear from you!
-Eric

Hi @Eric
I totally understand and I fully appreciate how busy you guys are :slight_smile: Always grateful for your support no matter how long it takes.

I can confirm that the Sonos desktop application was up to date. I am using past tense as I have recently decided to move away from Sonos and to use a mixture of blue sound and roon bridge end points. I am therefore no longer operating my Sonos components.

Having said that, I think that trying to diagnose this issue will be very beneficial for Roon users who own Sonos components. As such I am happy to help in any way I can.

Best
Yiannis

1 Like