Issue with Installing Codecs on ROCK Server (ref#EMXATJ)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

*None* of my remotes can connect

I'm new to Roon. I've purchased a NUC12WSKi7 and a lifelong subscription of Roon. I'm trying to follow the instruction given in the "ROCK Install Guide" and it goes okay until I reach the point of "Installing Codecs". I'm able to successfully connect to the Samba share "smb://rock/" (Linux) or "\\ROCK\" (Windows) and place the "ffmpeg"-file in the "Data\Codecs" directory (untared/unzipped). However, it keeps telling me in the html userinterface that I'm "Missing Codecs" - I never reach the point were the Roon Server can be restarted... Any suggestions, thanks in advance?

Hello @Soeren_Poulsen and welcome to the forum.

Copying the file isn’t the last step in the instructions. Following the guide until the end might be needed for the message to go away. Did you restart your ROCK?

Hello @BlackJack. Thanks for you reply. It’s my understanding that ROCK can only be reached via the web-interface, is that correct? What’s on the web-interface is what I posted yesterday, I can press the upper right red button to reboot ROCK - tried out without success. I guess the blue button with the “?” should turn in to “Restart” when it’s realized that the codecs is in place, but this never happens…

Did you extract the file first after downloading?

If extracted and copied over correctly a reboot is not required

Do you mean that ROCK did not reboot? or something else?

Also, did you uncompress the tar file twice as the instructions state?

Finally, what happens if you refresh the page in your web browser?

Hi
Agree the instructions get a bit vague once you get to this bit. Even John Darkos excellent video skips over it.
When I went to the site that had the codecs listed- there were about 10 files all with similar names - and I wasnt expecting that. The first and most obvious one didnt work but I tried one of the others and it updated straight away. Sorry I cant remember which but it was in there!!

If you follow the steps in the ROCK install guide on the Roon help centre, then there is a link to the article on how to fix the missing codecs issue. The first step has the link to the actual file you need to download. See:

By contrast the link in the overview paragraph above only links to the download page where all builds of ffmpeg are available.

In the latter case, the file that you want to download is the amd64-static version as explained in the same paragraph of the install guide.

Yes, the file was untared/unzipped and is called “ffmpeg” only. However, it turns out that it has to do with the properties of the file itself. When set correctly the “Missing Codecs” disappears from the web-interface.

What I meant was that the reboot works as supposed to, but it didn’t solve the original problem.
Yes, the file is uncompressed.

You don’t need a server reboot just a web page refresh. Is it working now since you mention the “Missing Codecs” button is now gone.

So, now the web-interface looks like described in the installation guide, I guess Roon is running. However, I cannot connect to it from any of my remotes (iPad, Android phone), I keep getting the message: “Waiting for your Roon Server…”. Any ideas how to move forward from here? :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance.

Well, that is a different issue. Double check the IPs of everything and make sure they are all on the same subnet. Sometimes routers split wifi into a different network than ethernet. You can tell by comparing the first 3 number groups of the IP address which should all be the same, ie. 192.168.1.x

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.