Issue with Roon ARC accessing Roon Server (ref#CVBXXT)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

Can't setup connection with Roon

"Roon ARC unable to securely access your Roon Server". I've turned off Windows Firewall -- it doesn't resolve it. Tried other troubleshooting tips: unsuccessful too. Here's the diagnostics data:
{
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"195.aaa.bbb.ccc","actual_external_ipv6":"null","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"}
}

@koay_family the diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router.

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks for your quick response. I’ve checked:

• My router ports match the port listed in Roon-Settings-ARC.
  • No VPNs used.
  • Windows Firewall… raatserver and Roon are Enabled. As a second confirmation, when I turn OFF Firewall, Roon ARC still doesn’t work, ie it is not a firewall issue.
  • Modem is already in Bridge mode.

a) Modem = FiberHome GPON ONU, Model HG6240A
b) Router = Google Nest WiFi (2nd Gen) AC2200. I use one router only… connected to other Google Nest points.
c) I use a managed switch, Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX (but I didn’t do any “management”).
d) Internet Service Provider = ViewQwest in Singapore
e) Modem operates in Bridge Mode.

Hi @koay_family,

Thank you for your post.

Your RoonServer’s request to Roon’s upstream servers to test the open port is timing out without a return.

If you don’t have more than one layer of network address translation between RoonServer and the internet, then you’re likely encountering ViewQwest’s own Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation (CG-NAT). This is upstream of your account - I suggest you reach out to your internet service provider and inquire what options are available for a dedicated external IP address or native/dual stack IPv6 setup.

1 Like

Got it, thanks Connor!

Hi @koay_family,

We’ll keep this thread open until you’ve had a chance to test with your ISP. On the offhand chance that they aren’t implementing CG-NAT for your account tier, then we’ll continue to work with you here to pinpoint what’s blocking port forwarding.

Hi Connor: Yes, my service provider (ViewQwest Singapore) confirmed it isn’t using CG-NAT. They’re asking me to pay more monthly fees to get a static IP. Aaaarghh.

Your message is timely. I was about to (unhappily) pay them the extra fees. But let me try get your assistance first to pinpoint what’s blocking port forwarding.
What can I do and what info do you need to identify the issue? Thanks Connor.

Hi @koay_family,

Doing a little research, I suspect that you’re encountering a consequence of ViewQwest’s implementation outside of CG-NAT. They seem to set up a custom proxy server to allow for the circumvention of georestrictions:

It looks like you can request that they disable Freedom DNS. I’d first request this, if it’s free of charge, before paying for a static IPv4 WANIP address. Since they seem to have highly non-standard implementation at ViewQwest, ask them directly if a static IP will bypass any address translation or proxies they’ve set up and allow for TCP port forwarding.

I’m not sure if this user’s findings are still current, but this chart provides a useful overview of the Singapore ISP landscape with regards to port forwarding: https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/9g1t02/was_thinking_of_recontracting_my_familys_fibre/

Unfortunately, Roon’s ability to assist with the particulars of ISPs is quite limited, as there’s too much variation in the global implementation for our team of four to possibly index. That said, the Community and team will do our best to assist you here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.