Issues with ARC outside of home wifi

Hi @Joseph_Cauthen,

Thank you again for your patience. The team has taken a more thorough look into diagnostics from the last few connection attempts on your device, as there are a number of inconsistencies that suggest port forward failures might be a symptom of a broader issue.

Your Core is having sporadic connectivity issues to the internet independent of ARC. Logs show occasional network failures on a number of key processes requiring Roon to send requests to external servers.

This evidence might be unrelated to your port forwarding failures - these increasingly look like carrier-grade NAT on the part of Verizon Fios - but it’s concerning that Roon is struggling to connect.

Would you mind clarifying the following?

• Have you been experiencing any issues with Roon Remotes on your home network?
  • Have you recently removed/swapped/disabled any network hardware?
  • Are you positive you don’t have any enterprise-grade security, active network firewalls, VPN configurations, or other software that could be interfering with Roon’s internet connection?
2 Likes

Answer question 1: I have not really had issues with my Roon remotes on my home network. However, at times I appear to loose or drop a connection. This can happen when I browse the internet and sometimes with Roon on my iphone 11 pro max. You mentioned connectivity issues. I have noticed that an HP printer connected to my wifi network that we cannot print and usually will have to do a hard reset by unplugging the device.

Answer 2: I have not swapped or removed any network hardware. I did discontinued/uninstalled Malwarebytes as a service on my personal laptops since I really was not using anymore.

Answer 3: My work computer may have enterprise grade security since I work for the federal government. I will at times leave this pc on and I remained logged in. However since I installed ARC I have been shutting this pc down after I complete work and I still cannot connect to my library via ARC when I am out of my residence. I have been out of my residence with this computer logged in and on. As long as I start ARC in my house with a wifi connection, then leave my house and use my mobile network, I can remained connected to ARC. However if I open the app while I am out of my house and try to connect, the app says cannot connect to Core, or Connection to Core is poor and I cannot play music.

Some other thoughts, I have several unmanaged switches in my house to hardwire multiple devices such as the following: TIVO, TIVO Minis, Apple TVs, work computer, desktop. Switches are standard consumer grade from local MicroCenter in Fairfax VA

When the pandemic hit, I did add two Ubiquiti Amplifi Mesh Point HDs. connected to my Verizon Gateway with no problem. And I was able to have a stronger wifi signal in my house. When I installed these my Roon worked fine and I saw no issues with the addition.

Also in the past, my Verizon FIOS ONT (optical network terminal ?) was replaced when I was loosing connectivity more regularly. This was before I truly was invested in Roon, I am wondering if this is going bad. I will call Verizon

1 Like

I spoke with technical support of Verizon Fios. No issues with my router, lines, connection and ONT. They did refresh by G1100 Gateway router with a software update. I re-established port forwarding. I will test outside of my residence. I have ARC working on a wifi connection on my phones.

Please provide some feedback on my postings on answering the questions.

You can turn off your phone’s WIFI and test it now.

@Jim_F. Yes true. But in the past I have had no problem connecting after connecting to the Roon App first. I would like to reboot my phone and connect on a mobile network by first opening ARC without establishing a connection through Roon via remote. This is when I have the connection issue of either Poor Connection or Cannot Not Connect to the Core.

We drove from north of Atlanta to Charleston, SC and then back via a very rural route for a long weekend. Our cell provider is AT&T. We listened to our Roon playlists the entire way without a hitch. Just amazing that we get listen to our playlists of ripped CD’s and Qoboz streams in the car without any problems. Call me impressed.

1 Like

Update: I was able to be out of my residence today and was able to connect to Roon ARC. I am not sure what had corrected the issue. To recap, I did have a refresh of the G1100 Gateway router from Verizon Fios. Not sure if this corrected the issue but now ARC is working. I will keep testing using with wifi off, wifi on, T-mobile network. It appears working for now. Thanks

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.