Issues with Roon that stop me buying

Oh, so something a CD player or VLC would play perfectly. Excellent.

:grinning: … not as immersive as the Roon experience. With metadata and cross references to the library.

So you want metadata and cross referencing while it’s playing, but then somehow “disappears” at the end of playing and this isn’t an edge case? Riiiight.

2 Likes

I haven’t said anything about what kind of case it is. Personally, I’d have the “need” for something like this maybe once in a month or so. I live happily without it too. And discussing the possibilities here shouldn’t be limited by edges - or cornering. :sunglasses:

Who is suggesting otherwise?

To be honest i would pay not to have the feature. It has taken two weeks to teach my wife how to select CD on the new amplifier so she can play one of her 20 CDs. She’s strictly an analogue girl in her digital media :grin::wink:

2 Likes

Picking up (one more time) on the “play & forget” feature for USB (CD transport too, if that ever gets considered) with metadata: it might be interesting for demoing / in-store presentations. Now that more and more Roon ready endpoints are available and dealers pick up on offering Nuclei it would make a nice show case.

I personally wouldn’t let anyone plug a USB stick in my network, you never know where they have been. I’d rather let them loose with Tidal and build a little temporary playlist.
For serious customers it could be part of the bonding ritual along with the :coffee:

3 Likes

Very, VERY wise words in this day and age.

1 Like

Same applies to letting people with jail broken phones on your network as well :wink:

1 Like

I wonder why there is no such agitation (as it is in this topic) about the huge backlog that the Feature Requests is right now with much more demanding and pressing requirements…

1 Like

I was doing consultancy at a client who were fractured so Corporate, that we were doing, had protection up the wazoo. The retail shops, nothing.
Joe Public walks in with a USB stick and oops! no more retail network.

Feature requests are what they are – requests for features. They don’t become part of a backlog just because they’re made.

In this phase of the product’s maturity, deciding what Roon is not is oftentimes more important than what it is.

4 Likes

If it was currys or someone like that - it was probably a blessing in disguise…

At least then the usual 'its in stock but I cant find it, please waste your life standing here while I try to find it" changes to a simple ‘it does not appear to be in stock’… :wink:

Fair enough, I was just talking about the level of interest of the public towards an “alien” :grinning: “issue” (my opinion) compared to more important ones.

Or, in other words, if the community will be as passionate about the more acute issues of the ROON application, maybe they would make it to the backlog (maybe even faster). Just saying… :grinning:

In that example, presumably the music is just something I don’t want in the library. And it is also a multi-step process that is IMHO very kludgy to import and then delete. Sure you can do it, but you can also drive your car in reverse all the way to work. That doesn’t make it a good product.

Another point is that, at least in theory, it infringes on the artists’ rights to import a friend’s CD that I don’t own. Same if you consider his USB stick as a backup for him, but not for me to keep the music on it.

If the CD Player or VLC could play through the Roon audio network, yes, that would be fine. But many of us have re-configured our audio/network so that the endpoint isn’t something that could easily be accessed to play a local VLC or CD application. Plus, as already mentioned, then those tracks could not be in the same queue as my Roon library tracks. It is not equivalent at all.

The original edge case comment came off as pretty dismissive.

Why worry about locking the window when Roon’s lack of security leaves the door wide open?

Anyway, this wasn’t intended as a Roon-bashing. I felt the need, as a forum regular, to defend a dismissive set of posts to what I completely believe to be a core part of a digital audio system and a totally reasonable suggestion. Look at the title of the thread - this was an offering of a reasonable opinion and I am concerned that there is a group of Roon faithful that seem to dismiss every suggestion that doesn’t fit their purist image of how Roon could be used. The ability to play a CD isn’t ridiculous or even a little outside the norm. And you cannot use another application if your endpoint doesn’t really work that way.

I do appreciate and enjoy the liveliness of this forum. Let’s all just be a little more welcoming of other opinions. That is, unless they are really ridiculous :slight_smile:

I wasn’t bashing Roon, I own a lot of meridian gear, Roon is based on Sooloos (Roon wrote the meridian packages) so yes it can be used to rip cd and play cd. monthly Subs would bring in far more revenue, this proved to be the case with both emby and Plex, being able to write 3rd part mods would bring in more devs and expansion of the product,

I ultimately want Roon , however if you ignore customers you will end up bankrupt. !!

This isn’t the first time this came up and there’s at least one explanation by Roon somewhere in there forum why they decided to not go for monthly. (Haven’t searched for it myself right now but I know it’s there.)

Well, with a Nucleus in a separate local network (in-store presentation) there might not be that much havoc an usb stick could do except if the Nucleus would let it - but with (all!) the endpoints talking just RAAT what’s the risk?

On the other hand it’s always easy to find reasons not to do something. Or the other way round. :no_mouth:

Try not to get overwrought and carried away.

1 Like