It just worked! Why is this newsworthy?

In the English speaking world, as opposed to American, I have never heard of it called a 2x4, always a 4x2.

You should worry, I was born in the UK in imperial days , underwent metrification in my chosen career moved to a country that is basically metric but with smatterings of British Imperial and US imperial. US TV has a lot to answer for here.

I am a walking converter, I still say things like an inch to the right and not 25 mm to the right

I still talk about MPG not liters/100 km

Is it any wonder I’m confused :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Not just there.

2 Likes

I have to say that listening to “Magnificat” from Tidal on Meridian DSP 7200 [SE] speakers is different from listening to it on Sonos

It’s true, thickness first. But I saw no need to be pedantic.

It’s a stunning performance and recording, and Meridian SE loudspeakers are equally stunning.

I think it’s about half a firkin. (A standard measure for Real Ale enthusiasts)

1 Like

My kiwi son-in-law refers to 4x2s and 6x2s. He also calls carriage bolts “coach bolts”. Building with him keeps me thinking… :thinking:

1 Like

Those damn Southern Hemisphere inhabitants tend to spin everything backwards !:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

A firkin is 9 UK gallons around 41 litres,

A kilderkin = 18 gallons, barrel = 36 gallons, hogshead = 54 gallons

All UK std cask sizes

Edit

Sorry missed one, A Pin = 4.5 UK gallons

So after Brexit these are no longer standard EU units?

I don’t think they ever were EU sizes are 50 L & 100 L with occasional 30L most non UK countries follow this except the US I believe :flushed:

That comes with us having to stand on our heads :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This thread went far afield, which is very cool.
But I would note that not only did I not have to build a wifi network, the house came with wifi, which is a mark of civilization, but also, the wifi that was provided was not “optimized for audio”. Similarly, the AC grid was not “optimized for audio”. And the rooms were not “optimized for audio”.

Given all this, not in spite of all this but because of all this, the music system installed quickly and just worked.

“Yeah, yeah, but mainstream is easy, it probably wasn’t any good.”

The headphone rig was 10/10: Chord M-Scaler + Hugo TT2 + Hifiman Susvara. “But how good were the cables?” Bah.

The main speaker system was 6/10, Avantgarde Solos, active speakers, fed by a Benchmark rig. But it’s flaws are inherent in the Avantgardes, don’t come from routers or cables.

Secondary speakers and headphones were whatever.

But all worked which gives them several points over superstar systems that don’t work.

7 Likes

Sorry but even back in England I called it a 2x4…

1 Like

Hmm - that make me remember a time in a beer hall in munich, or more to the point, remember the fact that I just dont remember anything past a certain time beyond a vague recollection of a load of us ‘dancing’ to oom pah music on the tables… - probably around approaching the 1 imperial gallon point… :wink:

2 Likes

A milestone of drinking was always held as the “50 pint weekend”

In 1978, I think, we visited Germany for business culminating in a visit to the Oktoberfest, lucky accident ?,

4 of us all brewers !! Managed the magical 50 pints

The steins the girls carry ( often 6 at a time ) are nominally 1 litre but with so much foam often less , still a lot of beer . The Oktoberfest beers are often special beers too, at least 5% ABV

Them were the days, I am a little more circumspect these days :shushing_face:

1 Like

50 pints each? :joy:

Off Course :smiling_imp:

Typo or pun? :joy: