It’s a little too expensive for me

I’m 69 years old and have a limited library of cds and vinyl and I’m not technical at all. I’ve done a fair amount of research and think roon is a really good product and will only get better with time.
Unfortunately I cannot justify spending $2500, $1600 for a Nucleus and $700 for a lifetime subscription for a musical management system. I know it does a lot more but Im generalizing. For $2500 I’d rather buy a hundred vinyls, 200 cds, a high end turntable, amp, DAC, etc., etc. IMO, Roon should be cloud based with local user storage or licensed to audio hardware manufacturers and put under the covers.

Thank you for listening.

7 Likes

You don’t need a nucleus to run Roon although you may desire it. There will be plenty of advice on here with regard to a more affordable Roon Core.

3 Likes

I’ve explored buying a NUC and installing the software but honestly I don’t have a clue. Also I have read other posts where experienced technical people are buying a nucleus because the software was a little problematic.

Nothing wrong with the software. Mines on a Mac mini that I already had. In my opinion most problems are due to (mainly wifi) networking whether the person likes to admit it or not.

3 Likes

John there are many options for running Roon cheaply, including running it on your current computer (if you have one of course).
I would recommend running a trial version to see how you get on with it. I run my setup on a £600 NUC and have had very few problems, and most of those were network related and based on the environment.

Roon is an investment for sure, but many of us find that it returns value back in the listening experience

Regards

Mike

3 Likes

Roon can be a little complicated at times, but doesn’t have to be. What computer do you have? You can install the Roon core on it. Do a free 14 day trial. If you still feel the same way, nothing lost. If you like it, and I think you will, purchase a year for $120.

Down the road, there are other, less expensive, devices available to run the Roon core. You don’t have to build your own if you aren’t into DIY. I bought my Nucleus from Roon on a Black Friday deal last November for $1119.

2 Likes

One of the best attributes of Roon is that you can use it with any hardware that you have. No need to go out and purchase new equipment that has Roon “built-in”; all you need are some audio connects and perhaps a way to get the music across your network and you’re good to go.

As previously stated, there are less expensive ways to setup a Core than Nucleus and less technical ways than a NUC (although NUC setup is not that bad). But, this is certainly a personal choice and I respect your fair evaluation of whether a Roon system is right for you.

1 Like

By the way, there is no trial version. Roon is Roon. You can try it for free for 14 days, but it is the full-blown version of Roon, not a trial version.

1 Like

I’m 69 too, I haven’t got a Nucleus, just a cheap fanless laptop, and I wouldn’t dream of a lifetime subscription to Roon. I have some thousands of my own rips, but mostly listen to music from Qobuz nowadays. Qobuz is a much more rewarding place to spend my money than locking myself into Roon hardware or Roon lifetime. You don’t have to either.

2 Likes

I guess that is the trouble with this forum: It makes people believe Roon is buggy or difficult. Truth is, that we have managed to create a Windows zoo that nobody can tame, while Apple follows closely. Roon is simple and good. Period. Just install only what you need and deinstall what you will not need on your Windows system, get standard hardware, hook every up via Ethernet, get at least 16 Mbit/sec, maintain Windows through Microsoft and it will work. And if you were living in Europe you would smile at the Euro to USD rate and another thing…

4 Likes

Of course, it is your decision, and not everyone will agree with the value proposition of Roon, but I couldn’t help but smile wryly at what you wrote above. Because:

• Roon is already heavily dependent on cloud services to deliver value to your local storage assets (in addition to adding value to streamed assets);
  • Roon came out of Sooloos, which was a system licensed to an audio hardware manufacturer (Meridian) and put under the covers. Meridian has stopped development of Sooloos.

BTW, I’m fast approaching the age of 72…

1 Like

I like 72. It works for me. I gave up my flying hobby, but it saved me a ton of money.

2 Likes

But this isn’t so far off? I go soaring through my music collection almost every night?! :smiley:

2 Likes

I soar with Roon, Tidal, and Qobuz almost all day, every day. And, the outcome of a mishap is much less severe.

4 Likes

Joachim_Strobel

7m

I guess that is the trouble with this forum: It makes people believe Roon is buggy or difficult. Truth is, that we have managed to create a Windows zoo that nobody can tame, while Apple follows closely. Roon is simple and good. Period. Just install only what you need and deinstall what you will not need on your Windows system, get standard hardware, hook every up via Ethernet, get at least 16 Mbit/sec, maintain Windows through Microsoft and it will work. And if you were living in Europe you would smile at the Euro to USD rate and another thing…

Absolutely my thoughts Joachim.

I too am a seasoned citizen. I began with PC audio in 2006 with my 1st. USB DAC. Upon learning and partaking of the concept, I regognized that this was the future and the death knell for most stand-alone CDP’s and DAC’s. I happily sold and jettisoned my Wadia DAC. For little more than the Wadia’s cash value, I bought a USB DAC and a laptop computer. Sonics were similar to better. Convenience was mind blowing!! Plus, in addition to using the Laptop as an audio room FLAC player, I could use it elsewhere as a PC (a 2-fer). So, I have seen a lot and tried a lot along the way – Apple/Windows and much of the various playback software that accompanied each and supposedly made the sound better.

By comparison, Roon is essentially bullet proof. It’s easy to install and it just works. It provides a handy and appreciated reference database for my 200k tracks.

While I’m not happy paying to “rent” any software, I find Roon’s use to be almost a necessity when, and until something better comes along. For what I have invested in my 2-channel audio room, Roon is a fiscal no-brainer and a must for the aforementioned reasons!

4 Likes

I thought I’d echo this: I’ve been running Roon on a laptop for over a year, and audio-wise, have felt no need for anything fancier.

I agree with this as well, but if I can add something to this for @JohnD – IMHO, even this upgrade (to NUC + lifetime) may not be at all necessary for many people. So for @JohnD, the almost any computer you have lying around + $120/year solution could absolutely be all he needs even well down the road.

So an entry into Roon using an existing computer isn’t a thin end of the wedge to be wary of at all, IMO…

2 Likes

That’s correct. Generally, there is no improvement in SQ by moving from a computer to a Nucleus or other device. For me, it was more about convenience and reliability.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed, of course.

1 Like

I’m an old crusty too! Got introduced to Roon by my Linn dealer👍. Now use it on the DSM, the Wi-fi speakers in the kitchen and the son I haven’t got rid of yet uses it to stream from my NAS and Tidal which all the family use. I run Roon on an I3 industrial Brick pc with a couple of old SSDs I had and use a 5” touch screen for when I need to talk to it. Total cost £175. Love the fact that the music is so easily movable from room to room and I can share stuff with my lad. I have just paid for a year and am about to go for the full kahuna as I will still be listening in 10 years time (God willing!)
Lots of help out there so get going!
As my mate says ”this ain’t no rehearsal, it’s the real deal”
Keep well and enjoy life
Cheers
Larry

1 Like