iTunes Groups as Tags

Would it be possible to import itunes groups as tags? I’ve spent hundreds of hours tagging my itunes database with groups. Not sure if these are actually saved in the file metadata or not…but it would be great to get that data into Roon

3 Likes

not a bad idea… I’ll put in a work item to investigate.

1 Like

This would be really handy as I’ve used the grouping tag a lot in JRiver and guess it’s the same as the iTunes tag.

1 Like

+1 from me. This would be wonderful.

Thanks for looking into it…I have really valuable info in the grouping field…particularly for sorting. While I could recreate this info in tags in roon…it would likely take me weeks. Its the type of thing that will send me back to itunes…which is not what I want to do.

Just want to bump my original request that there be a way to get info from the iTunes “Grouping” tag imported into Roon. My understanding is that itunes uses the TPE2 frame tag for grouping. I believe his is also known as the Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment frame.

I have to confess to using grouping in itunes as a catchall including information about record label, file sampling rate, dominant instrument, etc. in this field. That said it would be great to have a some basic way to route that info into Roon. Perhaps the simplest option would be to have anything separated by a comma in the grouping field imported as a separate tag in Roon. I suppose you could also make it possible to turn this option off if people don’t want it.

Thanks,

Robert

yes! My music library is worthless without the group field. thanks

+1 … I use this to manage box sets, where the Grouping tag holds the sub-title, so to speak, for the discs in the box (e.g. Extended Versions or Bonus Tracks). So, each disc is labeled with the same album tag, the Disc N of M are filled in appropriately, but the Grouping tag holds the unique title and, of course, the art work is custom embedded for each tracks in the subsequent discs.

+1 for mapping iTunes ‘Grouping’ tag to a Roon tag (or other searchable entity)
Thank you

I use the iTunes Groups tags to hold all kinds of information. Along with the iTunes Smart Playlist, I can have playlists generated on the fly and new additions to the library automatically added to playlists. Still do this in iTunes and then just export the playlist for Roon. Would be nice to just do it in Roon.

1 Like

yes please. Finally moving away from iTunes that I’ve devoted over a decade to using. Grouping tags were a huge part of my workflow and the idea of recreating this is daunting

Has something happend here? SongKong can write Genre Styles to the Grouping field. Can Roon use it?

+1 from me too. I would love to carry over all the grouping work I’ve done over the past 15 yrs.

It sounds like this request has been bubbling around and not actioned for a long time. :frowning:

Same here, could anyone from the Roon team comment on the likeliness that this might be coming to Roon in the near future? Would be nice to get a hint.
Thanks

1 Like

Welcome, Hein. You’re new here, so you’re probably not aware that the Roon Labs team very, very rarely comment on Feature Suggestions. They do read all of them, but we’re unlikely to get them to reveal their plans. They’ve been burned in the past by saying something and creating expectations that don’t pan out in the fullness of time.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff. I won’t hold it against them if they don’t develop something! But good to understand the policy which is quite understandable.
Best wishes
Hein

1 Like