Japanese Display Issue [Resolved]

Roon 1.3 build 223 running on macOS 10.12.4

Roon’s File Info page fails to display Japanese filenames correctly. Look at Path to File below:

While the filename in Finder looks like the following:

Full path of the file is:
~/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_9efa5a2ee3044411f0fcc85517d5a7a3a8bf8165/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/どうぶつビスケッツ×PPP/ようこそジャパリパークへ/01 ようこそジャパリパークへ.m4a

I guess the problem is related to Unicode Normalization Form.

This may also helps:

Hi @ases ---- Thank you for the feedback and sharing your observations with us.

Just to verify, and apologies for any confusion on my part. In the application are the Japanese titles displaying correctly and it’s only in the file path that they are not being displayed correctly?

-Eric

Yes the title is correct. It’s just file path has unnecessary spaces in it.

Hi @ases ----- Thank you for your patience here, my apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, we would like to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house. Would you be bale to send us over a a dropbox download link via a PM containing a sample of media that you are noticing this behavior with?

-Eric

@Eric I PMed you the file. I managed to find a similar Github issue. To reproduce this, please place the test file in a HFS+ volume. You may also try the example given in that Github issue: just rename the file to 한글 and see if it displays correctly or not.

I actually think that the contents of the file doesn’t matter. As long as the file is on (or has been on) a HFS+ volume, its filename is converted to NFD permanently…

Update: I renamed a file to 한글.mp3 and here is the result:

I’m pretty sure now NFD on HFS+ is the cause.

And according to Linus Torvalds:

And then picking NFD normalization – and making it visible, and actively converting correct unicode into that absolutely horrible format, that’s just inexcusable. Even the people who think normalization is a good thing admit that NFD is a bad format, and certainly not for data exchange. It’s not even “paste-eater” quality thinking. It’s actually actively corrupting user data. By design. Christ.

Let’s hope Apple get this done right in the upcoming APFS.

Hi @ases ----- Thank you for the follow up and the provided insight! The input is greatly appreciated! I can confirm that the content has been received and is in our queue to be evaluated. Once I have some feedback I will be sure to follow up accordingly, your patience is greatly appreciated!

-Eric

the problem is that we dont support combining characters when we display the tenten and maru… i’ll see what i can do

ok, that was easy fix… it looks like this now:

the fix will be in the next build.

3 Likes

Thank you for your effort! You may mark this thread resolved :yum: