Jazz artists mistakenly filed by Roon under ‘Classical’

I doubt any human would classify Mingus as classical. Why would they? It Doesn’t make sense.
Maybe it’s not AI, but it is software related and how Roon subsumes certain genres.
Also, the value of genres would not be that any artist was present in any genre, but rather that some artists are only present in one or two genres. For Mingus Jazz, hard bop, big band. If this makes sense.

The classification scheme used is made by humans. Why would humans do anything? Why are human minds different? Why can we not just all think the same? I don’t know, but can happily live with it.

From AllMusic is being updated. | Music Search, Recommendations, Videos and Reviews

grafik

Where Avant-Garde Music and Band Music are sub-genres/styles of Classical.

Then the scheme is flawed. When a car dealer sells bikes, just because bikes have wheels, something is wrong, bizarre.
My impression is that the problem starts with too many subcategories, and that those subcategories are then connected to main categories. In the end anything can be anything, which is problematic for any classification scheme.

This is basically what this thread is about. See post #3 of this thread.

I’m not sure that KB article applies - I only have Tidal music in my Roon library, so I don’t see the point of mapping Tidal metadata against Roon…

However If you’re saying I can somehow remove ‘avant-garde’ as a sub-genre of ‘classical’ I would like to try that but I don’t understand from that article how that can be achieved - would you mind explaining in more details?

If it means manually editing each artist, thank you but I paid my dues doing that back in the days of Salling Clicker, media monkey and Nokia Symbian phones… nowadays I’d rather sit back and enjoy the music:)

Open the Genres Browser in Roon, navigate to the (sub-)genre you want to change, click the 3-dots button on top and choose Edit.... I used “Avant-Garde Music” to take the example pictures.

Don’t forget to click on Save to save your changes. For Mingus you have to move “Band Music” as well.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this.
However, In my library avant-garde does not have Classical as parent, it is its own parent genre, so that doesn’t explain why for example Mingus is in classical via the avant-garde route. Probably it’s some other category that causes it.

For me ideally I would like to have very few genres, like Jazz Classical, rock, pop, others. Maybe World and that’s it. I don’t care about the myriad of sub genres possible. Do you think it is possible to set it up this way?

Yes, this is possible. All information needed to do it is already given to you in this thread and the KB-article linked there-in. Just do it.

Note: Messing around with Genres is about making decisions (update: and a lot of work). For the example about Jazz musicians showing up in classical, moving the (sub-)genres that are causing this to Jazz might, depending on the content of your library, lead to the question why classical artists/composers now show up in Jazz. You will likely have to modify Artist, Composer and/or even Album genres to get the result you wish.

Maybe you’re better of with

1 Like

There are two separate “Avant-Garde” genres in the TiVo/Rovi/allmusic hierarchy:

“Avant-Garde” (top-level genre)
“Classical” —> “Avante-Garde Music”

I suspect there is a lot of misclassification between the two. Cc: @mike @dylan

2 Likes

And also:

“Jazz” —> “Free Jazz” —> “Avant-Garde Jazz”

1 Like

For the time being I think that’s the best option. There’s plenty of it :slight_smile:But thanks again for all your help!