Jazz artists mistakenly filed by Roon under ‘Classical’

I was wondering why was roon, after only using it for two days and listening to 100% jazz, recommending a lot of Classical new releases.
Well, take a look at the screenshot… all these jazz greats are lumped under Classical. Artificial intelligence, or natural stupidity at work?

If the artist plays on anything with a tag then they show up.

The root cause is not Roon but the metadata suppliers putting things like Avant-garde Music as a sub-genre of Classical.

This thread may be useful

If you wish, you can edit the genre tree. See this KB article

thanks, I’ll have a look at the articles
however it’s still strange, I can’t be the first to have noticed that. It’s not one or two names, it’s pretty much every jazz artist filed incorrectly. If that can be corrected by Roon I would expect them to do it for the hefty subscription I’m paying…
(by the way, I only have music from Tidal in Roon)

Roon can’t correct the genres for everyone’s liking. I guess no one can, there are just too many contradicting opinions about genres. So Roon will most likely stick to the genres provided by the third-party metadata providers it relies on.

I surely understand that. On the other hand, when all jazz artists in my library are listed under “classical”, and then I get mostly classical music recommendations based on that there’s something fundamentally wrong with how genres are used.

It’s great that I can (hopefully) correct it and I will try it. I’m still in my 14 days trial… doesn’t seem like a deal breaker yet

I think a fairly small percentage use genres as a main source of information so it doesn’t have a huge impact.
I looked up Charlie Haden and he appears on a B&O compilation that contains jazz and classical, so he’s going to appear in that album tag as classical like it or not…

Charlie Haden is under classical because Allmusic has Chamber Music and Concerto down as two of his genres.

An artist does not inherit genres from an album they appear in, so how an album is described should not matter.

My mistake. Don’t use genres my own self.

Hmm, I have mostly jazz and classical albums.

I just checked out my genres, normally I don’t use that Roon feature, and in my library (about 20,000 tracks) there is nothing inappropriately mixed.

Guess that’s not much help for you, but I don’t believe your experience is the norm.

Slim, just for fun…
Artists > focus > classical.
Select all, and add to a new tag, called “test”.
Reset
Focus again, on tag “test” and genre “jazz”.

How many?

I have 37 out of 1076.

(You have to do it this way as you can’t AND genres in focus)

OK, I tried the test, but when I tried to add to tag I got -

I don’t muck around genres or Focus very much, so probably my mistake.

Hmm. I think something might have gone wrong at the selection stage. When you selected all and added to a new tag, at that point, if the add to a new tag worked, you should have still a large number of classical albums shown in your focus screen.

If not, then I don’t know, but it’s probably not worth wasting your time over. Tks for trying anyway.

Edit. Actually, that’s not right - I just tried it again and the focus screen doesn’t show the tag at that point. I still think the selection went wrong though.

1 Like

I know what you did…

When you added your selection to a new tag, you didn’t tap save at the bottom. The tag was created, but not assigned. A Roon curio.

The first time, I tried to define test TAG ahead of time and then use it after Artists > Focus > Classical.

OK, looks like 337 out of 1221. Not sure if I didn’t do something else wrong. Otherwise, damn.

Hmm, got a different answer 2nd time. Really confused. I’ll try later.:laughing:

1 Like

I agree with you. I had never used the Genre section before, but when I checked I found many strange categorizations and it is pretty much unusable. Charles Mingus is just not Classical nor is Charlie Parker. The best though in Classical is Fatboy Slim…
Roon should do something about it and not just say… it is the metadata providers fault.

I think I know what you mean, and genres can be very controversial. But some suggestions are plain bs. I have Michael Brecker and Peter Gabriel under Classical. That is bizarre. Even if they had participated in one random project that would associate them with classical music I’d rather wanted to find them under Jazz and Pop Rock respectively.
I just think this is a good example where AI is just not intelligent at all. It would need human intervention and music knowledge to actually clean this up. Even though, I agree, some cases would be controversial to decide.

Just because they also show up under Classical doesn’t mean that they won’t show up under Jazz and Pop Rock. Theoretically, an Artist can have all possible genres attached and will thus show up in any genre you might look up in Roon.

It’s a bad one. The metadata in question comes (mostly) from AllMusic.com and is provided/curated by humans AFAIK. I personally don’t know of any metadata service where an AI listens to tracks and decides to which genre they belong. This mess is solely created by human minds.

I don’t think the Genre classifications have anything to do with AI functions, that is solely the realm of Roon Radio, Recommended for You, and the like.

But, you can focus on the intersection of Classical and Jazz, and then remove the Classical genre from those artists.