John Darko builds a ROCK server

I suppose the fan in your NUC could be sightly out of kilter.
Does it bother you that much that you would build another NUC?

At least, you can reuse the ram and M.2.

Mmmmmm - your statement could be deemed the same

2 Likes

“I should start a survey about how to pronounce NUC.”

It’s very simple:
If you say GIF with hard G, and the dress is black&blue, say Nuck.
If you say Jif and and the dress is black&blue, say Nuke.
If you say Gif with hard G, and the dress is white&gold, you say Nuke & you need tequila!

4 Likes

It was this video that inspired me to try NUC ROCK. Currently everything runs via ROON Server on a Synology NAS.

I do have one question tho’ pertaining to the video. Near the end he places some sliver object on top of the NUC. What is it? A weight? A coffee cup? Mini Hadron Collider?

TIA.

Jon Darko has a thing with vibration and it’s a weight. TBF it’s only semi serious in most cases, it can on occasion be useful and he suggests cheap commodity door stops from Amazon. It’s a bit of a trademark now, and done “knowingly”

Ah! Thank you. I did detect a sly whimsical look in his eyes as he grabbed it and placed on the NUC.

It is too bad he has comments disabled on the YouTube channel otherwise I would have asked there. Thanks again!

Just my 2 cents on this.

I purchased an Awow AL34 from amazon here in the UK for £200. It has 8gb RAM and 128gb storage. It came preloaded with windows 10 and before I wiped this I installed an already owned 500gb SSD along side the internal 128gb.

Once I figured out how to disable the UEFI I installed Roon ROCK. A very easy process. I’ve logged into my accounts and set up my end points.

So my build was £250 and works flawlessly.

With an Allo DigiOne via coaxial to a SMSL SU9 DAC in preamp mode coupled to a pair of Cyrus Smartpowers in mono with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 gives a very affordable setup with a good level of performance and quality.

FYI - the silver door stop is to stop the cables pulling the NUC off the shelf. He does similar with other light weight components.

1 Like