Jpegdds.dll quarantined as malware

I’m using an older Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 as a Roon remote and endpoint that connects to a Core on a different computer. Previously album art was extremely slow to load to the point of being unusable. After searching the Roon Community I saw that some people solved this by installing the 32 bit version of Roon. I uninstalled the 64 bit version, then downloaded and installed the 32 bit version.

Now Roon won’t launch because Malwarebytes quarantines jpegdds.dll as a malware threat. My other computer runs the 64 bit version, which also contains jpegdds.dll, without any problem from Malwarebytes.

Can anyone answer why this file triggers a security threat on the 32 bit version and not on the 64 bit version of Roon for Windows? How do I know if it’s safe to whitelist jpegdds.dll?

Different binaries different digital signature … suspect only Malware Bytes can answer. Give the a ping they are usually responsive.

You don’t, you have to make a judgment …

• It’s part of an official commercial download from a known vendor.
  • Google search, look for issues.
  • Ping Malware Bytes, as them to double check the file.
  • The likelihood is that’s a false positive.
1 Like

Before Malware Bytes fix their issue, can you not add it to an exception/no scan list to get you up and running?

A post was split to a new topic: Almost eternally slow artwork loading

Just updated to 1.8 build 814. No problem running the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version wouldn’t run because Malwarebytes quarantined three files: RAATServer.exe, Roon.Media.dll and (again) jpegdds.dll. Whitelisting Roon.Media.dll didn’t work because the Malwarebytes AI engine continued to re-quarantine it as an zero-day threat, so I had to whitelist the entire C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\100800814 folder.

It’s a pain in the butt if I have to go hunting around to whitelist files for every build update. Plus I don’t love the idea of whitelisting an entire folder without knowing for certain if there might be malware. I trust Roon Labs, but recent experience shows it’s possible for malicious code to sneak into anybody’s software. Nobody has complete control over the whole chain of source code.