JPLAY iOS Application

JPLAY recently released their iOS app. It sounds good, but I was wondering, what is the difference between an app like JPLAY iOS and Roon software. I don’t understand computer audio software very well, so I would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

I’ve just given this a try. It is sooo close to the roon gui I was shocked. The sound is slightly superior as there is very limited network traffic. It is only for one endpoint at a time I believe. It even has focus. It also should run for a local library without internet. It requires a upnp server like minimum server or plex etc. I am enjoying the sound quality. I am interested in other opinions.

2 Likes

I just stumbled on JPlay while looking for a control app for Minimserver and/or Asset UPnP to use mainly with Eversolo DMP-A8. I have to say it’s actually quite good. The annual cost is a third of ROON annual, understood JPlay lacks a few features in comparison. Until ROON certifies the A8 as ROON Ready™️, I’ll continue with JPlay until I find something else.

Joël Chevassus, a well respected reviewer, just posted his results on 6 Moons. While acknowledging that the app was not as polished as Roon, he was quite impressed with its SQ. So much so that he’s cancelling Roon.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/jplay-app/

1 Like

It’s not that great with all renderers. Gave up on it very quickly as it doesn’t play nice with all devices as is the norm with anything UPnP based. Advanced Metadata is limited to Qobuz or Tidal only not your own files. Having to do a manual sync each time you add to your library is tedious also. As for SQ it sounds no different to anything else, why would it it’s just a controller.

2 Likes

Anyone hearing any SQ difference between bit-perfect players would be a well-respected payola peddler, but not a “reviewer.” Although looking at the review, he is slightly entertaining, rather like that Hans guy, in a “I have absolutely no idea what I am saying, but I will say it to get those sweet-sweet freebies and sponsorships anyway” way.

I don’t debate bits are bits but their delivery can be affected by network traffic and other factors. I’ve tested the app today using my Lumin X1 as a renderer and thought its SQ was slightly better than Roon or my Lumin bespoke app. But many factors go into music playback preference so I probably will stick Roon, especially as I have a lifetime license.

Well, actually, it can not. That’s how networks work. But, of course, people who are paid to give glowing reviews of miscellaneous audiophile network cables, switches, filters, and obscure protocols need to justify their payola and… give glowing reviews of such, leading some people to believe in what really is technical nonsense. But if one believes in it, it is very easy to “hear” a difference between anything.

You can safely keep using Roon, as the sound quality from it will be as good as from any other player.

On his screen shot of Roon playback in the second page of the review he does not even have bit perfect output from Roon. Given that it’s surprising that Roon came out as well as it did his comparisons. But given that I would say the whole comparison with Roon is invalid.

1 Like

Yes I noticed that too. The reviewer’s Roon screenshot shows a green dot consistent with lower quality output. To me, JPlay sounds good, Roon sounds good as well and the software is nice to use, so that is what I use most of the time.

Fully agree. I tried to compare both using my streaming amp+speakers system (the streaming amp is certified by both Roon and JPlay) and the Streamer+DAC/Headphone system. Both sound very good. My impression is that JPlay tends to play slightly louder at the same volume setting but otherwise I couldn’t really spot any difference. I’d use JPlay if Roon wouldn’t exist.

That sounds like volume levelling difference perhaps?

What I meant was that without adjusting the volume knob of the amp JPlay seems to play slightly louder

Do you have volume leveling enabled in Roon or any DSP? As this could reduce the volume of Roon as Jplay doesn’t apply any replaygain or volume levelling. If you have just plain no processing then odd it would be a different level. But not the first time I have heard this phenomenon.

Now I understand your question. No, I don’t use any DSP or volume levelling with Roon. Could the different process (UPnP vs Roon Core+End Point) used by the two systems explain the effect? I have no idea. In any case, it is very small and I admit it might be just my mind playing tricks.

Sounds really good I must say.

1 Like