Judging the age of many Rooners here it would seem that we are quite the ancient lot

Interesting discussion. I remember being a kid with a cheap Motorola transistor radio and a suitcase style stereo with a crystal cartridge. Terrible sound! But I knew it. I even held a paper next to the vibrating phono cartridge so I could hear a little bit of direct bass coming from it. I knew it was there because my grandfather’s old 78 rpm player had bass. But for me, it was elusive. I had to wait several years before I could get some semblance of bass from my Zenith Circle of Sound system. Pretty lousy bass too. But it beat the transistor radio or paper playbacks I used when a teenager. All I know is, I craved good sound. Seems like a craving for White Castles or some other unhealthy food is more prominent today. Maybe it’s the over saturation of media. Who knows. But one thing I can still hear despite aging ears, is bass! And I love it when part of a good music playback experience.

2 Likes

My first audio equipment:

Motorola 6 Model X-14E Transistor Shirt Pocket Radio (c. 1950s)

8 Likes

My first radio was a rocket shaped crystal radio that would pick up the local radio station. My friend and I strung bare wire throughout a large tree in my yard for an antenna and we would sit in that tree with an ear plug and listen to the single local radio station. That was around 1958.

3 Likes

My first radio was put together by my Uncle Harry, made of parts that he had brought back from his service in WWII. He had a half barn full of military grade radio equipment that he would raid to build sets for nephews and nieces.

The boxes of tubes that he had would probably be worth a fortune now!

2 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed that on a lot of stereo/“audiophile” sites I frequent as well. There seem to be a huge number of us turning 70 this year! I never saw that coming.

It usta wuz dat I kunt spel awdiafile, and now I is 1.

1 Like

Maybe it could also be that young people have other things to spend their hard earned money on than expensive software that only gives them another interface to whatever streaming they already have to pay for in the first place.

I love Roon, but it is the combination of my own local song library together with the streaming support that is giving me great value :wink:

1 Like

In today’s world, if it isn’t on the cellphone it doesn’t matter. The latest iPhone with Beats is the new high-end.

1 Like

This seems illogical. Most musicians I have known appreciate better quality audio reproduction and are frequently very critical of quality of mixing, microphone placement etc. I think it is nearly always a mistake to make sweeping generalized statements about any group of people though.

I’m in my mid-20s and when looking up Youtube reviews of the Roon Nucleus before making the buying decision. I noticed a lot of people reviewing it were much older. That’s when I realized I’ve picked up a hobby probably for older people :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

I didn’t get interested in lossless high resolution music, streaming, and Roon until I gave up all my expensive hobbies. I have always been an adrenalin junkie and listening to music just didn’t interest me that much. Making music was a different story altogether.

1 Like

Welcome to the care home Roon Community, @hao. And a little less cheek, youngster! :laughing:

Maybe you’re forgetting something: our hobby is music, not Hi-Fi, and when we were your age, the choices were (a) AM transistor radio, (b) all-in-one stereo, (c), or Hi-Fi separates.

So, to be clear, we are young people who have matured with age, and still enjoy our music as it was meant to be heard.

6 Likes

We’re very happy that a young person is joining. I’m in my 50s—still young by Roon standards.

@hao, it’s not an age thing, it’s a music thing, brother.

4 Likes

So we need hip hop listeners to lower the age. There should been a thread on hip hop music

BTW @Ajoe ,

It’s totally an age thing. Otherwise you’d have said “it’s a music thing, bruv.” :grinning:

1 Like

100%, grateful to be involved in this and super excited for the long journey ahead with Roon. Absolutely love what the product team have created :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Hey I’m in my mid-20s as well and joined a month ago :smiley:
I’ve noticed much of the same as you, most of the people at my age either just use any cheap headphones or they spend $100-$500 to buy a decent pair (or speakers) designed for comfort and quality rather than buying Hi-Fi gear.
I’m much of the same although I tend to really push my budget after spending the summer working :sweat_smile:
I’ve got a B&O H95 (and a few wireless earbuds for gym and on the go), great sound quality and they’re comfortable to wear. They’re designed for travel rather than “critical listening”, but I’m not really into that. I’ve never tried passive headphones with an external amp or such that you would associate with being an audiophile, I can’t remember to have noticed much of a difference between Hi-Fi and standard quality music when performing ABX tests with what I have.
With lower bitrates (e.g. Spotify level) I’d still need to focus quite a bit to figure out the differences. I just concluded that if I weren’t comparing I’d never be able to accurately guess if it was Hi-Fi or not.
Despite that, I still have a lot of Hi-Res music, not sure why :sweat_smile: Maybe just in case I’ll ever play it on some equipment that will make the difference in quality clear.

Lastly, I do think you have to consider that people tend to get increasingly more stable financially the older they get, allowing them to spend a bit more money on music equipment. After all, it doesn’t take much for this hobby to become expensive.

4 Likes

I think a lot of people from my generation (gen z) just find in convenient to have wireless headphones, IMO it is but after buying some expensive headphones and listening to some good sound systems I ended up liking sound over convenience.
That’s for me but I think there’s a generational difference on how much people care about music, mine doesn’t seem to care that much but on the other hand I’ve bonded with my dad(45) over audio because that’s something his generation cares about, and he wanted to buy good sound systems for himself when he grew older as a child.
TLDR: it is probably just generations having different interests

3 Likes

@Ammad you should try a portable headphone amp with the H95. You will get the difference immediately. I’m an old guy.

Or setting trend’s among the younger generation.
Good luck with your testing :+1:t2:

1 Like