Judging the age of many Rooners here it would seem that we are quite the ancient lot

Bought my first hifi system when I was 23. Been married a year. Prior to that I had very little exposure or interest in music. Then struck by an epiphany at 23 I went out and bought a rotel ra610 amp, Sony 134sd cassette deck and a connissor turntable with an sme arm, can’t remember the speakers. By 30 I had updated most of the equipment and have continued in this hobby of collecting music, updating hardware and enjoying the music although the complexities of new hardware is a challenge.

1 Like

I’m 23 now, I was perfectly happy with some cheap earbuds and Spotify until I heard my older friend’s speaker setup :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome!

When I was 23, I had a 5-disc Sony changer, and Boston Acoustics bookshelves, and an old pioneer amp that is revived and my friends all thought I was music crazy. Now I’m a little over twice that age and I have two different near-field setups, two home theaters (Though only one “real audio” one, the other is Sonos), three more serious 2-channel rigs, and I love them all. Music continues to play a huge role in my life, I just have more places to listen to it. And a bit more in the way of resources than I did back then. And now Roon is basically the hub for all of it.

1 Like

By 23 I had started down the slippery slope , I was single , relatively well paid and with the Hi Fi “WANT WANT WANT”

It’s addictive with no known antidote :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Maybe try not single anymore, not that I want that or any antidote

At 23 I was up in the clouds with a Onkyo md deck and a portable md, a Sony cd deck, Sony receiver and a pair of floor standing Jamos. That setup lasted until 2 years ago, when single again, and happy happy on the slippery slope

At 23 (1970), I had a handful of LP’s and a small console stereo.

1 Like

I don’t remember what I had at 23. I just turned 70 and have enough problems remembered what I did yesterday, besides listening to music. My wife helps me remember what I’m supposed to be doing. :thinking:

8 Likes

This is a sure sign that you were having a good time back then :wink:

3 Likes

I was thinking back to 23 years old, 44 years ago, and remembered my setup. The crowning glory of the system was a pair of ESS towers with JBL Century 100s stacked on top turned sideways. The ESS improved the anemic bass of the JBL’s while the L100s improved the poor midrange of the AMT-1s. Powered by a Pioneer 1010 receiver using both speaker A and B outputs. Pioneer PL-12D TT with a Shure Supertrack III cart and Pioneer CT-9191 cassette deck. My gosh those speakers…

1 Like

At 23 it was a Dynaco PAS-3 Preamp, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp and AR-3A speakers. Don’t remember the turntable.

1 Like

At 23 I had Quad amp, Quad Electrostatics, Empire TT with Shure V15, Koss Electrostatic headphones, Teac reel to reel. Sold it all for a honeymoon and then a $200 Philips combo stereo. After kids and university started the climb again.

My brother worked at Jafco in Seattle in the 70s and brought home a pair of Koss electrostatics to demo. wow what sound

2 Likes

Should have been ESP 9

First I had the ESP 6. They were quite heavy and an awkward wiring. Switched to the ESP 9 with the energizer box. My hp now is the Utopia and 64Audio Tia Blanc iem.

1 Like

At 23-ish I was the proud owner of a Philips FR966 receiver with an ALDI branded DVD player, JVC subwoofer and 2 Rank Arena speakers. The speakers look like they originate from the 1960’s and were gifted to me by my dad.

I still have the receiver, sub and speakers here. Until very recently they served as output for my MacBook Pro.

This year I will turn double the age of 23. :weary:

3 Likes

No worry, I follow closely (1 year behind) but I can certify the I’m still 16. I just use an upgraded body :smile:

1 Like

Upgraded body as a

?

1 Like

In this case I’ll worry I’ll have to upgrade my brain from 16 to 20

Krangnobody

2 Likes

At 23 I had what I considered my dream system at the time;

Hafler DH200 amp
Hafler DH101 preamp
Denon CD player
B&O turntable
ADS L1290 (v2) speakers.

:smiley::+1:

2 Likes

I still own a pair of Koss Pro 4a or perhaps Pro 4aa, but I doubt that they work. My schedule does not permit wearing headphones. I had the ESP-9 twice. I found them very heavy. I have the Apple AirPods Pro 2 but, again, do not have time/opportunity to use them.

2 Likes