Just announced: Brooklyn Bridge II ROON

I’m not certain of that. Something must be said for a system to be all internally wired. The Roon core capabilities, if it works flawlessly, would make a great product. Plus, it may inspire more companies that offer cheaper dacs/stremers (Matrix, SMSL, etc) to do the same

Conventional wisdom says separating components results in better sound quality. Separate components are also more easily repaired and upgraded. If someone prefers a single box, that’s great, but AIO’s have their downsides.

I’m a newbie trying to learn.
I thought purists were saying on other threads to move the Core away from the DAC (for reasons I don’t pretend to understand) and to not plug the a nucleus into a DAC by usb cable. But now, very high end manufacturers are ok putting the Core inside the same box? Am I confused or just missing something?

Just the inconsistency of audiophiles.
Just read the threads on MQA or audiograde switches. We can’t agree on much but those beliefs are very strongly held.

For many people with a good amount of money to spend they will like this device (allowing for the alleged quality issues) as many in this forum are not tech savvy so want an easier solution (and can afford the premium or look at it as a saving on what they otherwise might have sent). Some want a perfect solution.

Mike

3 Likes

Way too expensive. I suppose they are counting on noobie audiophiles with tons of cash to throw away.

David they are out there. I only wish I was among their number :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mike

Dale

Except the Brooklyn is a better DAC than the Liberty (I compared them, albeit current line, not the new ones).

Phil

Brooklyn Bridge has all functionality of a Roon Core CPU combined with high performance DAC.

Looks nice, but why on earth would you want to shove a powerful CPU and a DAC in the same chassis? For me, the whole point of a system like Roon is keeping Core and my DACs as far apart as possible.

1 Like

Not commenting on the sound of this device, but in home audio generally, price is often not correlated with sound quality or even good engineering (the so-called “audiophile tax”.) This isn’t necessarily the case in pro audio.

Did they actually say what was in it?

Certainly Roon must know what’s in it if they certified it? Either way, not what I would ever want.

I finally got hold of the Mytek on the phone. The will let me trade in my (just purchased) Brooklyn Bridge for the new one when it comes out. And the only reason for me to do that is that the current is clearly suffering from quality issues as a V1 product, and the new product coming out is launched with them changing their manufacturing facilities (moving away from their OEM partnership with HEM to their own manufacturing facility in Poland).

So I am hopeful the new product will simply be higher quality and, well, simply work well.

But with the Brooklyn Bridge, I have also bought a brand new Roon Nucleus+ server, which I plan on continuing to use. The new Brooklyn Bridge will include a roon core built in, which will be extra baggage.

Now I wonder if there is any benefit or use case for having 2 roon cores at home. Is there anyway to sync them. Or would I simply need to make the choice to ignore one of them.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Each subscription can have only one core active at a time. The only way I’ve found to sync them is to do a database backup and restore (very time consuming). A Roon account can have multiple Roon subscriptions, but there’s no need to do that unless you have multiple networks/houses and want a separate Roon environment in each. That, or you’re a developer. :slight_smile:

I think your best path to happiness is to keep using Nucleus+ as your Core and ignore the Core functionality in the Brooklyn Bridge II.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard, but I assume it’s at least a 7th gen i3 (or equivalent). Anything much less powerful would be a disappointing experience.

I suspec that you are right… thanks @David_Snyder!

I might just wait for this one and just stay where I am at now streaming wise. An all -in -one component sounds very appealing. The newer Manhatton sounds even better if one needed more analog inputs. Of course the Empire would be the Bees Knees…however, $20k is out of my ballpark.

Another fire reported here:

I wonder if QA/QC issues were part of changing factory? Lost faith in the previous factory?

I would like to add my AMP Plus (the one smoking!) was built and repaired in Poland. People from Mytek Poland have been always responsive and polite. And my Brooklyn bridge has worked also very well since day one, despite some quirks it has by design. But I have lost my faith on Mytek after seeing my new AMP Plus burning.

2 Likes

@Rugby I talked with Mytek’s founder, Michal, and he says the new BB’s core is similar to the Nucleus, whereas the next procut tiers of Manhattan and Empire are the Nucleus+ equivalent. The thinking is that the latter are meant for those looking for upsampling/EQ and may need more processing power.

As far as the noise separataion @David_Snyder his input was that core inside is inside a faraday cage separte from DAC. Their thinking is that they can manage more efficeint communication internally between core and DAC over interal optimzied USB vs. external cable with unknown device on other end.

I personally already have a Nucleus+ server, so the new BB for me would simply similar to the current BB, as it can still be a roon end-point only (I personally use the ethernet, but new BB is supposed to have enhanced WiFi whatever that may be). I prefer the flexibel architecture that lets me control my own server, but one could use either.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Library size matters into what a person might need in a core (CPU and Memory), which was my worry. Imho, there are times “all in one” might make sense, and other times it does not.
I don’t supposed he mentioned any kind of upgrade path in case you “outgrew” your Bridge, other than buying the next tier up?