Just Curious: What Proportion of Your Listening is Streaming / Downloads / Physical Media?

A very unscientific poll, but I was just curious what proportions of people’s listening comes from each source among other Roonies. Vinyl is back, and CDs are a big part of a lot of users’ libraries. But does anyone still do Hi Res downloads in the age of Qobuz and Tidal?

For me it’s probably 80% Qobuz / 10% Downloads / 10% Physical Media.

The downloads are mostly DSD files from NativeDSD.com, and the physical media are SACDs.

I guess for the purposes of this question, playing burned CDs counts as physical media, since I’m interested in isolating purchased downloads.

96% Qobuz / 3% Downloads / 1% Physical Media

1 Like

Hallo,

0 % Streaming Services / 80 % Downloads (Flac, 24 Bit, DSD/SACD) / 0 % physische Medien / 20% Vinyl

1 Like

You mean ripped? Or CD burned from ripped vinyl?

I tend with Roon not to look at where its stored or streamed from…300K local library tracks and Q&T to stream from. 95% of the time its this…2% Vinyl and maybe 3% spotify.

1 Like

All of the above.
This year I bought a SACD Player and brought a small selection of CDs and SACDs into the living room.
I rip all CDs and play mostly through Roon though.

I also bought my first TT in 30 Years and been playing vinyl again for the last month and bought some new old albums.

I also buy HD music from various sources, mostly Bandcamp and HDTracks

I stream Tidal as a music discovery service and if I play an album more than 3 times (and likely to play it again) then I buy it.

So given that clarification:
10% CD player
15% Vinyl playback
65% purchased download and ripped CDs
10% Tidal streaming

4 Likes

Sorry yes I meant ripped not burned.

45% Qobuz
54% physical media (ripped CDs)
1 % downloads (I prefer buying a physical copy if available)

1 Like

20% Tidal
75% Local Library
5% Vinyl

1 Like

Zero streaming. No vinyl, no CD player, no cassette player.
My listening is 100% local server based, maybe 80% rips and 20% downloads? Perhaps a higher proportion of rips than that.
Rips are mainly from CDs, but there are also quite a few hi-res rips from SACD and DVD-A.

1 Like

Mainly streaming but still buy and play cd (two transports in system) and still use good old fashioned steam fm radio to start my day on BBC 3 radio.

1 Like

98% downloaded ripped
2% Qobuz

I use Qobuz to audition new music - I still purchase if I decide to keep in my library.

2 Likes

Don’t play any physical media any more, although I still buy quite a lot of CDs. My Roon library has about 3600 albums, 2200 are CD rips and downloads (probably about 60:40 although I haven’t actually counted) with about 1400 in my Tidal library. Probably play more albums that are rips/downloads than streamed from Tidal.

1 Like

Qobuz 98%
Rips 2%
My listening habits changed completely since getting into streaming, first via Tidal, then switching to Qobuz - I’m primarily into discovering new artists and performances and loving it immensely!

1 Like

When using Roon, 100% streaming from Tidal and Qobuz. I sometimes stream with Apple Music.

In the car, it’s Sirius Radio and Apple Music.

1 Like

50% downloads, 48%. Physical, 2% Qobuz.

1 Like

Downloads 95
Physical 0
Tidal 5

1 Like

90% Local ripped from cd
5% Purchased downloads
5% Qobuz streaming

1 Like

I live in a small town in New Zealand - my nearest music store is a 3 hour drive and international shipping rates seem to have gone through the roof, so not much new physical media for me.

Qobuz / Tidal : 85%
Vinyl : 10%
Purchased digital albums / ripped CD’s : 5%

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Seems like people broadly fall into two camps, the streaming users and the streaming auditioners, who then buy what they like on CD or download. I had kind of assumed that Qobuz and Tidal would kill the business model for places like HDTracks, but it looks like downloads are here to stay.

I think that they have definitely shrunken the market significantly, but not killed it thankfully.

With physical sales still rising again, it’s hard to tell if it is a fad (for CD’s) but vinyl seems to be set for a period of stability.
Having all he options in the market are great for customers rather than the record labels for a change.
Sadly the band’s are having to be more innovative, but that is where the likes of Bandcamp come in.

1 Like