Just curious - Why doesnt Roon work with Jumbo Frames?

I was wondering why Roon doesnt work with Jumbo Frames? Just curious to know the logic. Is it a technical reason? A philosophical one? Neither??

Is this what you are talking about?

It works for me as a remote on my PC. This feature is not available on my Windows 10 Roon Server. I believe it is because the Internal NIC does not support it or it might be a Windows 10 thing.

Yes, that is what I mean. On my machines it’s referred to as Jumbo Frames. When I set the value to 9014 on my Server machine NIC and enable it my switch and NAS Roon either stops seeing my library or has a lot of trouble playing music. Therefore I was wondering if this is a Roon issue. I have read other posts on this forum from people who have had to turn off Jumbo fames/packets for Roon to work.

If i remember correctly, jumbo frames need to be supported on all the network devices in the chain otherwise things go a bit funky.

As far as I can tell all the components in my audio chain supports Jumbo. I checked my NAS, router, switch, and NICs. It would be nice to hear from Roon on this.

Why use Jumbo Frames in this day and age? I remember jacking up the MTU back in the Dial-up Networking Days to increase payload relative to overhead, but I’m curious as to what the benefit would be for streaming across a modern FastE or GigE home LAN.

1 Like

It was more of a curiosity question. I was just messing around with my new managed optical switch and just trying some new things. I noticed the Jumbo feature which I have never bothered to turn on so I decided to give it a try. Since all my hardware supports it I was wondering why it seems Roon has a hard time with it while other applications I am using work fine.

Aha, thanks!