Keep Calm, and Carry On [title edited to not be 'rude' ;-)]

I worked for the No.1 or 2 (depending on who bought who) brewery company in the world , as a policy we kept SqlServer one version back from current for ages after a new release and had to fight to even install the latest version of Visual Studio (admittedly less so the SQL because the impact was way less to the business)

I’m not sure what’s funnier the fact that you’re complaining about complainers, or that you’re defending the actions of Roon on this.

Firstly, MacOS Catalina was available for developers to test for months prior to release. It’s pretty obvious that Roon opted not to do this and just let their customers suffer the consequences.

This shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place. They had ample time to test their software against the release of Catalina and make the adjustments needed to maintain a functional platform. Obviously that didn’t happen, and their response to their customers is basically oh well, we’ll get to it someday.

Secondly their response to issues once Catalina was released was nil. They told everyone they don’t know when they’ll fix it. This either means they’re incompetent, uncaring, or poorly structured. None of those options are acceptable for the asking price of this software. If you’re going to ask for a premium price for your product/service you need to deliver a premium experience.

Now if you’re content being an emotional fanboy that’s your prerogative. For those of us that actually own/run successful businesses for a living this shines as a ridiculous display of contempt for their customers. I hate to think it’s as sinister as them trying to push their own platform, but it would be a cold day in hell before I ever give them anymore money at this point.

Roon needs to get it together, release regular updates, and deliver better customer service. The issues in Catalina aren’t the only issues with this platform, and they seem just as uncaring with fixing any of the others.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here. Their software does run just fine on Catalina; no doubt they tested it. What doesn’t work is access to external drives, and that’s Apple’s fault, not Roon’s. Are you implying that Roon should have tested their software with all possible configurations of Apple products? Surely that’s outside the bounds of reality.

1 Like

Agreed, Roon really should be more communicative about this issue. That said, the majority of your further points are exactly the sort of comments that prompted me to start this thread.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea why Roon aren’t keeping us up-to-date regarding their progress, but to suggest that this indicates contempt for their customers, that they did no testing whatsoever when the beta versions of Catalina were released, and that they couldn’t care less is … well … again, exactly why I started this thread.

As for your fanboy comment: no, Roon have f**ked up. I love the software, but their response to this issue (or more accurately, lack of response) isn’t helpful.

Bill, that’s exactly what I’m saying. Those 2 items are fairly basic features, if they had done any testing at all they would have at the bare minimum known about the media key issue. Who doesn’t use that?

David,

I don’t really understand how you can agree that they screwed up only to defend them on it in a post like your topic. They clearly need more motivation to get the solutions done, posts like this are not proper motivation. You’re basically handing them a get out of jail free card while they continue to ignore everyone.

I would completely understand your point if they at least acknowledged that they’re working on it and gave a timeframe. That would be like you taking your car in for warranty service and being told “Yeah, it’s broken. We’ll get to it eventually.” There’s absolutely no way you would accept that answer.

They don’t … they are working flat out on it … but I agree the communication from Roon on this is wowful…

They have … on the forum … but an email out to members should also have been sent.

This I agree totally on … I know they can’t say it will be ready on this date (too many unknowns) … but an indication of progress their best estimate would have gone a long way to on the PR front to reassure users.

2 Likes

Exactly, but a warranty service is a clearly defined set of tasks with a clearly defined timeline, and a clearly defined end point. This problem, on the other hand, may well be a lot more complicated.

For what it’s worth, I’m not defending Roon - as I said, they’re royally messing up with respect to customer feedback - but I’m choosing to believe that they do care and that they are working on it. Why they aren’t communicating that to us is beyond me.

Well, I rocked my iTunes on Macs for 15 years (early iPod adopter, audiophile computer speakers, etc.), and never once were the music files on an external drive, so I must be the one person who doesn’t use that.

1 Like

I’m glad I don’t know what Catalina is, Roon is great as ever for me :smile:

1 Like

Fix is out.

Well done - I imagine the last few weeks have been somewhat traumatic.

1 Like
2 Likes

Apple sucks. Catalina has been a complete botch job and every major DAW, DJ mixing solution, audio interface and software synth has advised against upgrading. Apples move completely validated my decision to move all my music making tools to hardware based years ago because I got sick of the constant issues and planned obsolescence. I was spending more time debugging OS’s and software than picking up an instrument and making music.

Amen to drum machines, synths, octatrack and all the other wonderful new toys the industry is making!

1 Like

Pigs sometimes fly. I have an Epson GT 20000 and when we finally wanted to move to Windows 8 there was no driver for it for a few years. Then I checked a week or so and low and behold there are now drivers for both Mac and Windows all the way up to the latest releases. Impressive.

I like Roon lot but statements like that are not helping them. You essentially said: buy Roon platform, otherwise we do not give a crap about your problems. I do not believe Roon, if it has any desire of growing, needs this kind of support.

On the other hand I am lucky enough to not even know what Catalina is, since my early experience with iTunes I do not let any Apple product anywhere close to my music.

Yeah, sorry about that, but as the title seemed to be upsetting people I thought it best to change it. That said, given the timely arrival of the new version, shutting the f*** up would have been a good option :wink:

But, we can do without that kind of foul language here. [Moderated]

I thought that might get moderated.

I use an app called ‘Duet’ to use my iPad as a second monitor. It works a treat with my 2009 MacBook Pro on El Capitan.

I have Duet. I find it crashes often, and the aspect ratios are wonky, at least with my 2015 MacBook and my 12.9" iPad Pro.

Hmm… I have no issues at all - 2009 MBP 13" - IpadAir2